What to do with my 5 gall ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well everyone I have NO of what to do with the 5gall....I want something "different" I had it as planted, but didnt want to have to have all the "extras" to go in the tank (diy co2, ferts, etc) and so ya, and I really just hate fish only tanks lol (EXEPT for breeding :wink: or cichlids! because then I can have rocks in place of plants!) , after getting into planted, I cant stand not having plants and stuff in my tanks.... but I want to do something different with the 5. I know 5 gallon's is not a lot to work with...but you guy's are awesome and I know you guy's can come up with SOMTHING? ( It will eventually be a nano-reef but that wont be for another year or so...) I like things like fiddler crabs and cichlids...but I don't think I can have any of either in their! I am also wanting to breed something and my breeding GBR's might have to be put on hold for a while...so is their a fish to breed (OTHER THAN LIVEBEARERS) to go in the 5???? just curious :D

hmm. well... IMO, a 5gal is too small to breed anything

Neolamprologus multifasciatus

http://users.kent.net/~lisab/Neomultifasciastus.html

can be kept in a 5gal, but i wouldent reccomend it. In my 5gal i keep a dwarf pufferfish, they are AWSOME... but dont fit into your breeding plan.

http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

African dwarf frogs are cool too... you could keep like, maybe 5 of them in there...

Pygmy cories will breed for you, if you have a shoal of 5 or so...

here is my #1 reccomendation.. keep it planted, and breed CR shrimp, then send some to me :D

I did the dwarf puffer thing....diddnt work out for me :(
I do like the cory idea and the cherry shrimp idea (if I could find any....I wonder if the LFS will carry them)

Check the classifieds section. Someone there is looking to sell tons of cherry shrimp for 1.25 each plus $10 flat shipping. I'll be getting some from him as soon as my cycle's done.

I have cherry shrimp and a male and female betta in a planted 5g tank. They have been there for almost a year now. I also have another 5g tank on my desk that houses brig snails, a few algae eating shrimp and a male betta, high light planted. Lots of filtration and weekly water changes *sometimes more if I overfeed* This tank has also been up about a year, give or take a month.
The only issues I've had with the smaller tank is once the snails started breeding like mad, I had a ph issue. Never did find the cause but some baking soda dissolved in the water change water fixed the issue until I got some crushed coral in there to really fix the problem.

Talk to "toddnbecka", he can help out A LOT with shrimp questions and I believe that he is who was referred to earlier about selling Cherry Red Shrimp. Great person, helped me out a lot when I had my PH issue.

Dwarf african frogs are also very cool. But they will *most likely* eventually go after the shrimp. Now I had mine for a year before it EVER went after the shrimp. And then it only went after them after the goldie killed some first. Well fed on thawed frozen blood worms, they will be very happy critters.

Back
Top Bottom