What to do with my 5gall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am at a loss of what to do with my 5gall. It is currently just sitting their, fully cycled with a few plant clippings and it looks terrible. I have tossed the idea around to do a nano reef but decided not to because it would be to much work and to much money, which is why I took down the 29reef in the first place. I would like to breed some species of fish (other than livebearers) just for fun (my LFS will take the fry) but I am having a problem thinking of any fish small enough that would breed well in a 5gall... if anyone has any ideas let me know!?!

if not what should I do? I considered moving my school of 6 glowlight tetras in their and making it planted, again so that is a possibility if no one has any better Ideas?
Thanks

How about one of the small species of shell dweller, like multis?

or many some Celestial Pearl Danios (Galaxy Rasbora)

can you give me the scientific name of the shell dwellers? I have read about them a little bit here and there but do not know much about them. They actually were my first though but I dont know anything about them. I love cichlids so this would be high on my list.
I have not seen any "shell dwellers" around here, nor Pearl Danios but I could order some shellies if I can learn more about them!
Thanks a ton!

oh look at that, I typed in "shell dwelling cichlids" into google and found the scientific name... neolamprologus multifasciatus ?

can you give me the scientific name of the shell dwellers? I have read about them a little bit here and there but do not know much about them. They actually were my first though but I dont know anything about them. I love cichlids so this would be high on my list.
I have not seen any "shell dwellers" around here, nor Pearl Danios but I could order some shellies if I can learn more about them!
Thanks a ton!
Neolamprologus multifasciatus

I thought that 10-15 gallons was the minimum for shell dwellers, but I've never kept any myself.

I have a 5 gallon tank that has 3 sparkling gouramis and it's really cool. They max out at about 1.5 inches, and have a lot of personality. Their bright blue eyes really stand out too. :)

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_sparkling.php

I have never seen a sparkling gourami, I have read about them somewhere... but they are amazingly beautiful! I will look into them! Thanks

I thought that 10-15 gallons was the minimum for shell dwellers, but I've never kept any myself.
i would say that is probaly true of most shell dwellers, but multis are so small i think you could get away with a few in a 5. i have read of a breeding group of 6 being kept in a 3 gallon :?

Multies will soon outgrow a 5g because they breed pretty regularly. Fry are welcomed into the colony and thus it grows. :) I'd suggest atleast a 10g for shellies and that would be for only a trio of Multies or a pair of Brevis. I definitely wouldn't put any in a 3g. ;) Just because people do it, doesn't mean its right.

Celestial Pearl Danios need more than 5g as well. They are small, but active fish that are much less timid the more you have. I wouldn't put them in anything less than 10g....20g is a better minimum, but 10 will work.

I'd suggest the trio of Sparkling gouramis like Severum Mama suggested.....or do a shrimp colony. Cherry shrimp are really awesome and while they will breed alot as well, you could always move some to your 29g.

Back
Top Bottom