What to do with my tiger barbs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
As you guys know I'm in the middle of upgrading my tanks.... I'm currently over stocked in my 15g. I have 3 large tiger barbs.... Not a full school. I bought a 29g community tank, but I'm not sure if I want to put the barbs in there due to their tendencies to chase my other fish-they haven't tail nipped yet.... But I fear that could happen. I'm thinking about making the 15g a semi-aggressive tank.... I've been told that since the barbs have grown so much it will be hard to introduce younger barbs to the school, is that correct? Also what types of fish would be good with the barbs in a 15g tall.....? I'm not sure if I can do this or not yet, I'm in the middle of getting permission from my land lord about my fish now.... They only permit 10g and under tanks.... But my doctor says that it's much better for me to have a tank, than to treat me with meds for anxiety... So she is going to write up documentation about that. And I'm calling my renters insurance to see how big of a tank they will cover..., any other ideas? My land lord is pretty easy to deal with and has already given me permission to have a dog double the size permitted..... So I'm really hoping they allow it.... Otherwise I'll just sneak it in..... I'm not too worried about getting in trouble.

Adding barbs to your school should be fine as long as there relatively close to the same size. A 15 would be kinda small for a full school (as it has the same foot print as a 10), although it could be done. You really wouldn't have any room for anything else with a full grown school.

Be careful what you add. From my experiences tigers barbs are highly aggressive. Alot of times ive entered my lfs the only fish to be fighting and nipping are tiger barbs and they have cichlids.

Hmmm... I don't know what to do with them. I really love them.... They are fun to watch.... Maybe when I upgrade to the bigger tank they will stop chasing the others so bad.... :/ ? Hmmm. I guess I'll just play it out and see how they do, or of they will change once they are in a bigger tank....

Im down to three very large barbs left out of my school and all they do is chase each other. I guess it all depends on the individual fish and how long they have been schooled. I have had mine forever.

Im down to three very large barbs left out of my school and all they do is chase each other. I guess it all depends on the individual fish and how long they have been schooled. I have had mine forever.

Bards are weird like that you have to add some anything less then 7 they most likly will just chase eachother and not school, if they still don't school you have to keep adding on, untill they eventually school

As you guys know I'm in the middle of upgrading my tanks.... I'm currently over stocked in my 15g. I have 3 large tiger barbs.... Not a full school. I bought a 29g community tank, but I'm not sure if I want to put the barbs in there due to their tendencies to chase my other fish-they haven't tail nipped yet.... But I fear that could happen. I'm thinking about making the 15g a semi-aggressive tank.... I've been told that since the barbs have grown so much it will be hard to introduce younger barbs to the school, is that correct? Also what types of fish would be good with the barbs in a 15g tall.....? I'm not sure if I can do this or not yet, I'm in the middle of getting permission from my land lord about my fish now.... They only permit 10g and under tanks.... But my doctor says that it's much better for me to have a tank, than to treat me with meds for anxiety... So she is going to write up documentation about that. And I'm calling my renters insurance to see how big of a tank they will cover..., any other ideas? My land lord is pretty easy to deal with and has already given me permission to have a dog double the size permitted..... So I'm really hoping they allow it.... Otherwise I'll just sneak it in..... I'm not too worried about getting in trouble.

I'd rehome them. Tiger barbs deserve large schools and lots of horizontal swimming space, and a 15g tall just isn't going to allow that. Rehoming them would also allow you to get other fish as well without the worry of the tiger barbs nipping them.

I'd rehome them. Tiger barbs deserve large schools and lots of horizontal swimming space, and a 15g tall just isn't going to allow that. Rehoming them would also allow you to get other fish as well without the worry of the tiger barbs nipping them.

+1! Exactly what I was going to say!

I've got an 18g extra tall, same as yours, just a couple inches taller. I have 6 tiger barbs, 2 serpae tetras, 2 zebra loaches, & 7 otocinclus. They all get along together quite well. 33% water change weekly and lots of plants.

I've got an 18g extra tall, same as yours, just a couple inches taller. I have 6 tiger barbs, 2 serpae tetras, 2 zebra loaches, & 7 otocinclus. They all get along together quite well. 33% water change weekly and lots of plants.

Thanks. See I figured I could make something work; other than just taking them back to petsmart and having someone worse than me adopt them.

Are you crazy dude that mic in a 18? Gallon and she said that here tiger barbs are chasing each other I have some that are non aggressive lol

Are you crazy dude that mic in a 18? Gallon and she said that here tiger barbs are chasing each other I have some that are non aggressive lol

I'd say they chase because I don't have them in a school, but once I switch my other fish to my 29g. And maybe find some bigger barbs to have them school with and they should calm down... I don't plan on having that many fish in my 15g.... But someone tried telling me a school of barbs wouldn't work in a 15g.... Which I'm thinking if plan everything out properly I can have my tiger barbs and maybe a couple other semi aggressive fish...

I here what your saying but you need at least 8 tiger barbs on a shoal preferably 10 to 12 which is already pushing it on a 15 gallon TALL

Back
Top Bottom