what to feed bamboo shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
so my tank finished cycling so i am going to start it off with putting a bamboo shrimp in :).

the title pretty much says what my question is.
so what can i feed my bamboo shrimp?

Bamboo shrimp are filter feeder's, so the eat stuff we can't see in the water, in a, very established tank. That being said, I wouldn't put one in a newly established tank..

Reactions: HN1
Oh yah I know that but I've read somewhere that some of them spot feed their bamboo shrimps every once in a while. But why not put then in a new established tank?

Given that they filter feed I believe that the assumption is that a new tank will not have the microorganisms in the water column it would need to eat

That's somewhat my theory so I thought I could spot feed it every other day just incase.

The problem with reliance on spot feeding is that it tends to foul the water. I have never seen a bamboo shrimp thrive in a new tank. Not to say that it is impossible, but it will take extra efforts to pull it off. They really are more suited to well established tanks that have had time to mature.

That's somewhat my theory so I thought I could spot feed it every other day just incase.

HN1 said:
The problem with reliance on spot feeding is that it tends to foul the water. I have never seen a bamboo shrimp thrive in a new tank. Not to say that it is impossible, but it will take extra efforts to pull it off. They really are more suited to well established tanks that have had time to mature.

Oh I see. My thoughts are that they can thrive in my tank since it barely has any bioload and ammonia won't just spike up since I only have 2 guppys in there (I am keeping track of the parameters as well). Also if they can live at petco who barely cleans their tanks then I thought it would be ok for me to have them.

Oh I see. My thoughts are that they can thrive in my tank since it barely has any bioload and ammonia won't just spike up since I only have 2 guppys in there (I am keeping track of the parameters as well). Also if they can live at petco who barely cleans their tanks then I thought it would be ok for me to have them.

They don't survive long at retailers usually. They sell what they can the week they receive their shipment. I saw a tank full of bamboos at a mass retailer on Thu and there were already 2 dead. Also, while they may not have the cleanest tanks, they do have the benefit of a way larger water volume.

Oh and how does spot feeding foul the water?

Whatever isn't eaten, becomes an ammonia source and the finer the food, such as what you need for the shrimp, the quicker it breaks down.

They have a bigger water volume?
The ones down here are about 10g
I have a 20g.
And I see that makes sense. But I was told spot feeding them with starter bacteria works aswell. I'm just trying to see if others on here do something like that.

Petco has all their tanks running on one huge filter. Therefore they are well established tanks that don't need to be cleaned one a week. I mean really don't you think that with the crazy amount of fish they add every week they would have crazy ammonia spikes? Listen to what they are telling you. Your bamboo shrimp will dye in a new tank!

They have a bigger water volume?
The ones down here are about 10g
I have a 20g.
And I see that makes sense. But I was told spot feeding them with starter bacteria works aswell. I'm just trying to see if others on here do something like that.

As stated above, their tanks are all on a single system so their water volume = number of G per tank x number of tanks on the system + sump and plumbing capacity.

Just curious I know u guys said I should not add bamboo shrimp since its newly established. Is it the same for RCS?
Or I can get them now?

Paulcm10 said:
Just curious I know u guys said I should not add bamboo shrimp since its newly established. Is it the same for RCS?
Or I can get them now?

RCS should be fine, but they get eaten easily due to their size. What does stocking look like right now?

Bamboo shrimp are filter feeder's, so the eat stuff we can't see in the water, in a, very established tank. That being said, I wouldn't put one in a newly established tank..

+1

I have a bamboo shrimp and absolutely adore him. There are many species that require established tanks and, in my opinion, the bamboo shrimp is one of them.

Why risk it? Wait 6 months.

To add on to what LyndaB said, in general ALL shrimp do better in an established tank, including RCS. But they're pretty easy to take care of and will PROBABLY be fine.

Oh okay yah stocking isn't much at all. I have MTS and 2 guppies in the tank.
So they should be okay when I get them :p.
To me I prefer inverts than fish haha :)

Paulcm10 said:
Oh okay yah stocking isn't much at all. I have MTS and 2 guppies in the tank.
So they should be okay when I get them :p.
To me I prefer inverts than fish haha :)

Okay, guppies shouldn't bother them much other than the shrimpletts. But anything with a mouth can/will eat shrimpletts. They should be fine :)

Back
Top Bottom