What to feed pygmy cory cat fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragon14

Aquarium Advice Addict
We are going to get some pygmy cory cat fish soon (so excited!) and I was wondering what one should get to feed them...

I haven't looked that hard in the pet stores yet, but, I don't see anything that seems like it would work for them.

Any suggestions? Links? We are willing to buy it online! :)

Also they will be living with a betta fish, I hope he doesn't try to eat their food!

I have julii corys in my tank and I know they love shrimp pellets and algae wafers. I'd suggest you try those. I find they also just skim around the bottom in their spare time eating flakes or cleaning live plants if you have any. Recently my catfish laid eggs, and I'm hoping they will hatch soon. Good luck to you!

I feed mine shrimp pellets and algae wafers. I'm trying to get them on the Rapashy gel food, but no luck so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you to you both!

Where do you get the food from if not in the pet store?

I also worry a little bit about the betta trying to steal food from the catfish. :/ Hopefully that won't happen.

Maffool, were you trying to breed them or it just happened? I don't know what I'd do if they bred, ah!

NLS .5mm Grow pellets would be fine for the Cory cats and the betta. Occasionally frozen bloodworms would be appreciated too.

My pygmies are eating the hikari micropellets. I tried to feed them over ripe cucumber but they weren't that interested.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you all for your answers!

Another question, does anyone have any ideas to keep our betta from eating their food? I doubt he'd go after wafers, but, I'm sure he would the pellets. We don't have the catfish yet, but, I want to be prepared! :)

Right now mt pygmies are on QT with threadfin rainbows so they all eat the same food. Today I'm moving 5 of the 9 pygmies to the main tank with the betta and frogs. I plan on just feeding them enough that if the betta eats some they will stil have plenty. Might help to feed betta on one side and the pygmies on the other. Or one of my bettas has a floating log and eats in there. You could get one for your boy and feed him slowly in there until the pygmies are through. The hikari micropellets float, just fyi.

Right now mt pygmies are on QT with threadfin rainbows so they all eat the same food. Today I'm moving 5 of the 9 pygmies to the main tank with the betta and frogs. I plan on just feeding them enough that if the betta eats some they will stil have plenty. Might help to feed betta on one side and the pygmies on the other. Or one of my bettas has a floating log and eats in there. You could get one for your boy and feed him slowly in there until the pygmies are through. The hikari micropellets float, just fyi.

He has a floating log, we don't feed him in it much, but that is a great idea. He absolutely loves going into it, so, that would be perfect for feeding him! I hope we figure it out and don't have to separate them, as that would be a pain.

Well, I fed him in the log tonight! Didn't take him too long, plus he was already hanging out in/around the log at the time. After I was done giving him his dinner, he kept going in there looking for more food! Cute little guy :D

Then I spilled some of his pellets everywhere, that was a little fun to pick up LOL.

Haha i spilled the betta pellets tonight too, oops! Only one of my bettas has a log and he loves it so much that I don't have the heart to use it for anyone else. Sometimes I put some java moss in there to make getting his food a little more challenging. After adding 5 of the pygmies to the 10 gallon with my femalw betta Amelia sje followed them around for a few minutes then turned the other cheek. Shes a very passive girl, even once let the frogs chase her away from her own food!

Haha i spilled the betta pellets tonight too, oops! Only one of my bettas has a log and he loves it so much that I don't have the heart to use it for anyone else. Sometimes I put some java moss in there to make getting his food a little more challenging. After adding 5 of the pygmies to the 10 gallon with my femalw betta Amelia sje followed them around for a few minutes then turned the other cheek. Shes a very passive girl, even once let the frogs chase her away from her own food!

Haha! At least I am not the only one :p A month or two ago, I think two, I was feeding him his daily freeze dried blood worm, and for some reason I wanted to blow something that was near the food container... OOPS. That was fun too.

How many bettas do you have? Could you just get them each a log?

I love how much ours loves his log... so cute! We call him our logfish when he goes in there... :)

What is java moss?

awww that's sweet! I am hoping the betta & catfish will get along, but we are going to get a 5gallon just in case, plus it would be good to get one anyway. We don't want him in the 2g he came home in originally (he loves his big space so much!) and and that's he's been in since he got some fin rot and that he was in while we were cycling the 10gallon tank.

I have 3 males and one female. They are all community friendly for the most part. I could get them all logs but those logs seem so expensive for no reason lol. Java moss is a low light plant. It grows really well in all my tanks. The coried love to swim through it.

Oh nice! In separate tanks right?

Yeah, the logs are expensive. My little guy was worth it though :) But getting them each one would be expensive. I'm sure they would love it though.

Oh nice! If I feel adventurous, I may try that or some live plant in the future... for now silk will have to do... :)

I picked up more pellets this morning that I missed. LOL. I'll probably be picking them up for a few days haha.

Haha yeah all the bettas are separate but eventually i'd like to have a 20 long sorority with 6-8 girls.

They like Repashy Omnivore, too. All the fish like it and you can remove uneaten with a turkey baster.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

If anyone is still following this or seeing it, I was wondering how often to feed the pygmy cory cat fish. They're so tiny, they probably don't need much.

I give them a decent pinch at night, they start foraging, and by morning it is gone. I gave them a smaller pinch today before leaving for work, and they'd started on it before I left. :)

I want to make sure they eat enough, but I also don't want to over feed them :)

It's tough to find but mine go bonkers for pop tarts! Oh wait.. no...that's me! They like sera sinking krill pellets! Like a lot..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom