Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What to get...

In my 16 gallon tank I have 6 xray tetra and 4 peppered corydoras. I change the water and vacuum the gravel about every 5 days. Right now I have Java Fern, some type of Anubis, and Hornwort. It will soon be on it's way to being heavily planted after a few trips to the store for more plants!

Here's my question: I want to add some other fish. I know I don't have room for many more but I was thinking maybe a Bolivian Ram or adding to the school of tetras. I won't add the Ram till I have more plants since I've read they like dense clumps of plants. The Ram is a new idea but I'm starting to really like it because they are beautiful fish!

If you had this tank what would you add, if not the Ram or adding to the tetra school? I can't find many single fish that stay small. (Dwarf Gourami don't really interest me.)

THANKS!

Old 08-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

gold pristella tetra my fav tetra now

Old 08-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

maybe a few harleqin rasboras be nice
Old 08-21-2008, 10:55 PM   #4

I absolutely love my pristellas! I got them cause I wanted something different and I fell in love with them!

Is there room for some harlequins? I thought about them too but didn't know if space would be an issue. The tank looks pretty bare now, though. How many could i add?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

if you get heavy planted can keep higher bio load
Old 08-21-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have 6 of them also for about 1 month now in tank i love them maybe get a few more
Old 08-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would definitely add a bit of color if it were my tank. Lots of people have said that rummy-nose tetras are really neat. Others have mentioned that endler's are great fish. Those add a touch of color without being way flashy. Or you could go total bling and get some guppy like fish.

As for highlight fish options, I don't really have any options to offer up. I have a male betta in one tank and a female betta in my other tank
Old 08-29-2008, 08:08 PM   #8

heavily planted is what my goal is. The only store near me to get them is petsmart but there's not much variety there. I'm considering buying some online.

I used to have a betta but he died from some fungus. I saw that after he was gone my tetras seemed more relaxed... swimming more around the middle and not always schooling so tightly together.

Now I'm thinking of adding 2-3 to the school of tetra and maybe getting a bolivian ram or an angelfish. I'm doing some research on the angel right now. I have always wanted one!
Old 08-29-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately the Angelfish really would need a larger aquarium than your 16 gallon. You'd be better of going with the Ram.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Get the ram, it should work out ok. You do not have the tank size for an angel fish.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com