What to put in 20 gallon with kuhli loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

northernpangio

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a 20g long (Ac50 with 10g sponge filter) with 10 pangio cuneovirgata (dwarf kuhli, maybe all 10 have the bioload of 5 reg sized kuhlis), 6 pangio semicincta with some snails and shrimp. I also have 5 pangio oblonga in QT to be added.

For months I haven't been able to make my mind up over what fish I'd like for the top/middle. It seems i'd like something that could be personable or has some personality to it. It would be nice to keep the fish from southeast asia but i'm not sure on that. I also don't want anything that will deter the kuhlis from coming out.

Would really love to hear anyone's thoughts on what, in your opinion, would be the best stock...

I'd go with some kind of gourami then. Asian, personable, hang out in the middle/top of tank. For a 20 long, your best options are probably a single dwarf or thicklipped gourami, or a small group of honey gouramis.

Gourami are beautiful but if you have snails and shrimp they will definitely harass them or kill them.

I would recommend some sort of tetra or CPS’s.

I have a dwarf gourami in my 20 right now and I can't speak for shrimp, but he definitely doesn't go after snails (I have MTS and assassins).

Honey gouramis you'll want at least a pair. They're social and don't do well on their own.

I have Mystery Snails. I had the return the Honey Gourami (3 of them) back to the store. They would hover over the snails and nip them if they tried to come out.

Back
Top Bottom