What to put in my 55.....already have a 75 setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NJGourami

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 75 gallon freshwater community tank thats been running for a few months now. Inside of it are 10 rosy red barbs 5 of the longfinned and 5 of the shortfinned variety, 4 silver dollars, 4 giant danios, 4 tiger barbs, 1 chocolate pleco, 1 albino rainbow shark, 1 pictus catfish, 1 platinum gourami, 1 gold gourami. I have a 55 thats been sitting around that I have decided to do something with. What should I put in the tank? In order to give you guys some direction I do not want a 1 fish tank I would prefer many fish. Also no cichlids. Thanks in advance for all your wonderful suggestions.

You may want to add some more tiger barbs. I'd personally bump the number up to 10 or 12, maybe even more.

For the 55g, I know you said no cichlids, but I believe discus would be fine in a 55g tank and they'd be different than a tang or malawi tank. Other ideas...a pair of angels, a bunch of cherry barbs, a couple different large schools of cories(like 10 per school). a good sizes school of rummynoses.

What are your plans as far as plants go? Try your hand at a planted tank maybe? What kind of substrate?

you see the reason that I am straying away from cichlids is because I have some trouble maintaing high quality water due to the water softener in my tank. Its not ideal and cichlids can be finicky especially discus. Because of these reasons I do not want to spend a lot of time doing water changes 1 a week is my prefered max.

As far as the tiger barbs go....Upping my tigers from 5 to 12 would be an additional 7 fish. Which would be about 35 fish in the 75. DOnt you think this is very close to the capacity of the tank connsidering the fish I have in it. Also why do you suggest upping the number of tiger barbs that I have?

Well now that you mention soft water. German Blue Rams will do well in softwater and will do well in most peaceful community tanks. Or you could go with their bigger relative, the Bolivian Ram.

In most cases, tiger barbs get a little nippy around other fish. However, if they are in a decent sized school they will simply play with each other instead of nip the fins of other fish in the tank. I believe one member here on AA has some 40+ tiger barbs in his 55g community tank.

Here is a link:
http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=100842&highlight=tiger+barbs

Back
Top Bottom