What to use for cleaning filter parts, tubes, etc...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter905

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:roll: Hi guys and gals, brand new to this site and have a question for yall.
I have been out of the hobby for a couple years now and am getting back into it using mine and my wifes old equipment.
Currently we have a 75 gal tank and she has a magnum 350 that we will use and I have an Eheim Pro2 2026. Since this will be the only tank we have setup I fugured I would use both canister filters. I figure it's better than just having them set around collecting dust.
Is it ok to use both canister filters?
Also, How do I clean all the built up crud inside the filter housing and the tubes that run inside the tank? Right now I have them soaking in water to try and soften it up a bit. But is there something I can use to make my job easier?

Hope yall can help out a bit. I'm started to get excited all over again about setting up the tank and this seams like a pretty informative site.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

[center:abc68d100e] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, critter905! :n00b: [/center:abc68d100e]

Is it ok to use both canister filters?
(y)
How do I clean all the built up crud inside the filter housing and the tubes that run inside the tank? Right now I have them soaking in water to try and soften it up a bit. But is there something I can use to make my job easier?
I want to say vinegar, but wait until someone can back me up. I have a bottle brush, nail brush and a special brush on a bendy wire dedicated to my tanks.

I have heard of people using chlorine bleach. then use stress coat or other dechlorinator to soak it just to remove the solvent. I dont know if I would try it unless all else fails as a last resort.

When cleaning your tank due to diseases and dead fish, I highly recommend using chlorine bleach.

Soak everything with bleach overnight, rinse thoroughly with hot water the next day, soak again overnight in warm water and dechlorinator to remove any remaining bleach residue.

Now, if your just cleaning your parts due to hard water residue, IMO, the safest way is with household Vinegar and water. With Vinegar and water and a clean sponge, the hard water residue will easily come off. Just rinse thoroughly with hot water when your done scrubbing.

HTH :D

Soaking in warm water and vigorous application of a dish-brush (no soap and dedicated to cleaning aquarium stuff) will usually do the trick.....you can also buy brushes that are designed to clean long tubing at your local fish/pet shop.

Thanks for the advice guys, I tried the vinegar and soaking in warm water, seemed to do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom