what type of algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmdavies

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what type of algae are best for a coldwater freshwater tank that can go with my common goldfish.
My tank is 240 litres 63 us gallons im looking for an algae eater to clean my glass, preferably something with a big apetite.
I have a hillstream loach but he is tiny and makes almost no difference to the algae.
any help is appreciated

ok its your algae scraper lol yeah i have one and a razor thing on a stick but id like some help from my fish lol

Last edited by a moderator:
its a magnetic algae scrubbimg pad. its everywater.
edit: posted at the same time

what type of algae are best for a coldwater freshwater tank that can go with my common goldfish.
My tank is 240 litres 63 us gallons im looking for an algae eater to clean my glass, preferably something with a big apetite.
I have a hillstream loach but he is tiny and makes almost no difference to the algae.
any help is appreciated

Hillstream loaches are very effecient algae eaters IME, but just one isn't enough for a tank that size. Two keep my 29 gallon completely spotless. Most species of hillstreams prefer to have some buddies anyway, so I would add a couple more if I were you. Just make sure the tank is well aerated.

ok its your algae scraper lol yeah i have one and a razor thing on a stick but id like some help from my fish lol

Adding fish to help usually leads to more trouble IME. You could always try mystery snails, but I agree with the recommendation to rely on the scraper. It will also be in your best interest to identify the cause of the algae issues and adjust from that. BNs are not cold water fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
i do have various scrapers but a really struggle getting the back of the tank clean especially at the bottom close to the sand and i have a large peice of drift wood which i find hard to clean behind.
anytips on how to clean the back of the tank

Back
Top Bottom