What type of cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlebitlarisa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am donating several fish to the LFS and i would like to replace them with some cories. I have black sand that is smooth and it is a 46 bowfront tank with 2 angels and a clown pleco.

Any suggestions? Not sure what they have but I bet they will have any of the common ones in stock. Also how many should I get. I want there to be enough room as there will likely be 2 Bolivian rams in this tank later on.

:thanks:

Well i would suggest the minimum amount of cories at 6 because they like to be in schools so they arnt stressed. What type of cories you get depends on what type they have at the store.

i love the green color of Brochis splendens (sold as emerald green cory) in black sand

Corydoras

Hello little...

I have large, planted tanks with Corydoras and provided you don't have other bottom feeding fish, then you could easily have six or eight in a 46 G tank. I like to have at least one for every five gallons of tank volume.

There are more than 100 species of Corys and most stay relatively small. The most available are probably green or bronze Corys. I've seen a lot of albino Corys in the pet stores too.

Corys like the company of other Corys, so keep several. They don't need to be all the same species either. I have a 55 G with three different kinds and they all get along very well.

IMO, they prefer darker tanks, with a lot of hiding places and lots of clean, treated water. I have less than 1 watt of light per gallon of tank volume and change at least half the water in my tanks every week.

B

Any cory species would suffice. Whatever catches your eye is probably what you should get. The trick is to make sure you get at least a half dozen of the SAME species. If you are attracted to Pandas get 6 of them not 2 Pandas, 3 Bronze and an albino. Cories need others of their own to be happy, healthy and show their true funny personalities.

I know BBradbury says you can mix cories and you CAN and they will get along as stated BUT in order for them to be TRULY happy and stress free they SHOULD be the same.

I like all of them LOL

I will just see what the store has. I will get one group of 6+
Thanks!

Any other opinions on this? I have a hard time finding 6 of the same kind around here, unless they're albino's, so I have 2 emeralds, 2 peppered, 1 julii, and 1 panda. I could move some to my other 29g and hopefully eventually fill out one type, but is it really necessary?

I have pygmys and peppered that make up my school. The peppered are really a closely knit little group but the pygmys really love having them there. I know that mine are perfectly happy in their diverse grouping.

Back
Top Bottom