What type of fish are good community fish for my 10 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey
i'd like your say in this i have a 10 gallon with 2 black mollies and a albino cory what are good fish to add to this tank what would you add? i want to get a betta to put in with these fish is that ok? i would like you to put fish thet you can buy at a local pet store and in a different spot fish you would buy at a fish place. thanks.

Well, it really depends on what you want. Tetras, corys, guppys, and rasboras are all good fish for a 10g you can get platys and mollies but they're messy and heavy on the bioload. I would get a school of neons (6-10) and cories (4-6) for a 10g, that's basically my one combo for smaller tanks 10g and under.

Others may have better combos than that (I mean way better!)

Bettas are tricky in a community tank. I've had success with them (always using female bettas, not males), but others have had the opposite experience. Either a male or a female betta *might* work, but it depends 100% upon the personality of the individual fish. Some are a lot more tolerant of roommates than others. :eek:

What it does mean is that you should feel free to try...but you NEED to have a "backup plan" in place in case your betta decides he (or she) wants the entire 10 gallons to himself/herself. Because a pissed off betta, whether male or female, would certainly be able to kill your mollies if he/she felt like it. Also note that aggression issues are general minimized by having a tank with a lot of plants (whether real or fake), driftwood, rocks, decorations, whatever--anything that "breaks up" the sight lines.

Also note that a general rule, for all fish, is that the more crowded you make them, the more likely you fish will begin to show aggression. If you want to try the betta, then I would add one to your two mollies and add nothing else, other than perhaps another few cories (3-4 more). Most water-column fish aren't bothered at all by substrate-dwelling fish like corys, and corys are by their nature schooling fish and will be MUCH happier if you have them in a small school. For a 10 gallon tank, aim for 4-6 corys total in your school.

P.S. -- Is your tank cycled yet? If not, you don't want to add ANY more fish until the cycle is complete.

you have recieved some great advice. What I would like to add is what type of danio? Zebra? not in my opinion. They are schooling and much to active for a 10.

Back
Top Bottom