what type of fish is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have this fish I have no idea what it is but we call him brute he is tough as nails and his story is proof enough. He always has these red ulcer things and just kinda swims in one spot its normal for him I've had him almost a year now and its how he's always been. I'd like to know if anyone has any idea what type of fish he is I have him in a tropical community aquarium so please anybody has any ideas let me know!:)

Attachments

• WIN_20131230_185055.jpg
    WIN_20131230_185055.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 134
  • WIN_20131230_185057.jpg
    WIN_20131230_185057.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 140
No go right ahead im just not sure if it would work he gets them when hes stressed or if the water chemestry is off other than that they heal up and he has nothing

I agree gold barb. I have a shoal and they are really fun :) I would try and treat those ulcers though... They may be hardy but I wouldn't just leave it be. Her color also looks pale compared to mine, making me believe she is stressed.

No go right ahead im just not sure if it would work he gets them when hes stressed or if the water chemestry is off other than that they heal up and he has nothing

Does seem odd, I'd would hold off adding new fish just in case bacterial infection.

What are water specs? Does it have to go off by a fair bit for them to re-occur?

The nitrates need to get high my parameters are
ph-8.0
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrates-40-80ppm
My water has nitrates so they stay a little higher than id like

I'd try increasing the water changes for a bit then, along with a treatment medicine for ulcers. Melafix may help with the healing.

Salt I'm not sure on for ulcers if anyone may know?

No sharp objects in the tank or flashing or anything that you think may have kicked it off? Do the ulcers come back on the same spot?

No they sprout randomly on his body and have a little white puss thing like a pimple and i doubt it i had him in a bare tank for a month and they still came around

No they sprout randomly on his body and have a little white puss thing like a pimple and i doubt it i had him in a bare tank for a month and they still came around

I'd would try an anti-ulcer medicine treatment and try and get rid of it. It sounds a bit more serious when it can start on previously healthy flesh.

If you post in the unhealthy fish section with a photo that should drag in some more replies.

Read up on Mycobacterosis. Not saying this is the issue, but a possibility. The symptoms your describing make it a possibility. It is sometimes misdiagnosed as a bacterial disease. When I was breeding Rainbows this popped up a lot in discussions. Seems they are more prone to it than other fish.

Read up on Mycobacterosis. Not saying this is the issue, but a possibility. The symptoms your describing make it a possibility. It is sometimes misdiagnosed as a bacterial disease. When I was breeding Rainbows this popped up a lot in discussions. Seems they are more prone to it than other fish.

Can I ask how you can pick it? Just curious, anything appreciated. Also I read that UV units made a difference - did you get a chance to try this?

Myco starts on the inside of fish. Normally the kidney, and spleen are affected first, then soft tissue. By the time we notice the lseions, it has a big head start. Normally fish will show a small red/ pinkish lesion. the flesh sloughs off a bit, then sometimes looks like its healing. The spot will remain a lighter color than the rest of the fish's body. Sometimes there will be several lesions show up. As it advances, some fish will develop a curve to their spine, and also a portion of the fish will turn black. This is normally in the head area.
As far as I know there is no (cure) once their infected. Kanamycin has helped alleviate some of the symptoms. Affected fish can live quite a while with Myco. Keep the water very pristine, and feed a varied diet to keep theie immune system active. If you add more fish to the tank, be aware there is a chance they will contract it also. But I have had cases where fish were added to a known contaminated tank, and never became ill. That's not to say they didn't have it, but just never showed any symptoms.
Several of us Rainbow breeders did lots of research, and experiments to try and figure out more about this disease. Gunther Sveda the most knowledgeable bow keeper/breeder even helped out with the research.
All that being said, I am not diagnosing your fish via the forum. Just giving you a tool to work with. If bacterial meds clear it up, and keep it away, then obviously it was bacterial. If not the further research is necessary.(y)

Back
Top Bottom