What type of gourami?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strychix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this little fish (about 1.75"?) from a LFS in a tank just labeled mixed gourami. I thought a honey gourami but she (just seems very feminine to me) looks very pale and not as broad vertically. I think it's my favorite actual fish, I love how gracefully it moved and one time it scared the heck out of me by smoothly gliding out of the eye of one of my skull ornaments when I was staring into it looking if I can find the pleco. Eerie and pale, it came from the darkness!

Haha, so yeah help identifying would be awesome! Thanks.photo(18).jpg

Looks like my honey gouramis. My lfs told me the males will have red around the tail fins and females have a dark line down their side.

Attachments

• image-3426697783.jpg
    image-3426697783.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 56
We have a dwarf gourami who looks just like that with some red on the fins. So maybe dwarf instead of honey?

Attachments

• image-2815329396.jpg
    image-2815329396.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 73
Oh really, mine were advertised as honeys. Would the difference between dwarf and honeys be size? Had mine about a year and they're just about 2 inches now.

Either way I do love my honeys. Very peaceful, got some red ones a little while back and when their colours come out in full they're so pretty :)

Thanks. So do you guys thinks its a boy or girl? Not that it particularly matters, it's name is already Custard.

Sexing gouramis is actually all about the dorsal fin. Females will have a shorter, rounder top fin while the males have a longer, often pointed or flared fin. From the picture yours looks male, but I could be wrong!

Back
Top Bottom