What type of Pleco is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lyds001

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My friend recently got rid of her fish tank because all of her fish died but one survived, this Pleco, I said I would take him but I don’t really know what he is and therefore don’t really know what he needs. If some one could identify him and suggest a few things to keep him happy that would be awesome
Thanks
Lyds xx

Attachments

• DACDBCD9-BD79-4BFB-9BC2-12E2D8AF0883.jpg
    DACDBCD9-BD79-4BFB-9BC2-12E2D8AF0883.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 68
As soon as I saw him I fell in love with him but it was a bit of an impulsive decision because I don’t know how to look after him properly. He is really cute though

I'm not even certain that the pictured fish is a Pleco. He has a sucker type mouth, likely an algae eater /scavenger. My guess is a low maintenence fish. Might try feeding him a broken up peice of algae wafer twice a week. He likely will mop up left over flake food off the bottom.

He’s around 6cm long, he’s super hyperactive and he eats the algae on the side of the tank

Quotes or my replies are out of order ...
He’s around 6cm long, he’s super hyperactive and he eats the algae on the side of the tank
I believe you are correct .

Yes, those are the nightmare fish right? Sae are the chill ones??
He will loose his taste for algae and eat what ever as he grows and eventually go after fish that can not keep away from them.They are know to suck the slime off fish.

If that is not bad enough I will just add that usually the sole survivor of an tank that completely died from some infection is known as a 'sub clinical carrier ' and often continues to infect every fish it comes in contact with...
How long has it been in your tank ?

The fish from my friends tank all died after having a full life, he’s been in my tank for about 1 month. Do you know what he is, maybe I could read up on him?

The fish from my friends tank all died after having a full life, he’s been in my tank for about 1 month. Do you know what he is, maybe I could read up on him?
Good then hopefully not infected.
It is easy enough to search the web and see what the masses say about gold marble Chinese algae eaters ..
They usually become a pretty serious pest in community tanks .In a tank of larger aggressive fish it may be hindered...The fact that they out grow eating algae leaves them serving no purpose that makes the burden of owning one worthwhile IMO.

Back
Top Bottom