What type of snail is that?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought it as a 'Zebra Snail' but when I wanted to read about it some more, there's a few different kind of zebra snails. So the question is-- which one do I have? :)

(sorry for the picture quality-- taking photos was never a strong side of an iPhone :/ )

Attachments

• image-1939703796.jpg
    image-1939703796.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 61
My iPhone takes great pics, the new iOS helped lol!

Mine is getting better as well with a new OS :) It's just a matter of learn how to do it properly i reckon :D

As for the snail - he's a busy little fella :lol: After an hour he's all over the tank!! I do not intend to breed it (I only have one anyway, they're £4.99 in Pets At Home :eek:), so I just need to look out for him not to escape the tank :D

Do I need to feed him something special? I have plenty of algae-- my tank is slowly turning into a blue-green jungle...

Your snail will not eat the blue green algae, I'm afraid. It will, however, make short work of any diatoms you have, and should at least make a dent in spot algae. Your blue green algae is cyanobacteria... and unless I'm missing something, I can't think of any critters that eat it.

Nerites often escape the tank IME. A tight fitting lid will be helpful, and you can use craft mesh or something to cover any holes.

I've been led to believe it's staghorn algae. But actually I bought the snail because it's looking great and the algae-eating abilities is just an added bonus :cool:

The hood is completely closed, so there's no way he'll escape, maybe just stuck to the feeding lid :)

ive never had any nerite eggs in my tank and i have two of them. with them escaping they usually stay out of water and dip back in at night. one once went into my filter and i waited a week before i decided to disturb him and put him back into the tank.

Homer8 said:
ive never had any nerite eggs in my tank and i have two of them. with them escaping they usually stay out of water and dip back in at night. one once went into my filter and i waited a week before i decided to disturb him and put him back into the tank.

Maybe you have two males or two females... they are extremely active... mine scooted out of my tank and onto my dresser, then down the side of my dresser, and ended up on the carpet. It died because I didn't find it soon enough... :(

Looks like they should be sold with a motion sensor in a bundle... On the other hand, that's a thought for some Arduino-controlled tanks :D

Back
Top Bottom