What type PLECO will stay small?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musket

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just moved my chocolate pleco to the 46g tank, he actually jumped out of the bowl he was in to acclimate him to the new water (1 degree lower in temp, parameters the same). Less than 5 mins, I was cleaning his old tank, turned around to add some water to his bowl and he was gone. Sucking happily on a lift tube. I guess he knew the water was okay for him, that and he saw his big gourami buddies already swimming around.

Anyway, I was wondering what type of pleco will stay smaller, 4" or less to put in the 10g. It looks pretty lonely in there right now. Also, will this fish be nice to my injured 3" lobster? She is currently in the 10g to heal.

There are 2 guppies, 1 female betta and 2 algae eaters in there.
(If I have to, I can always move the lobster out)
Thanks for your help.

Bushynose & rubberlip are 2 or the smallest I know, but they grow to around 6". Plecos are fairly messy, I am not sure if you have room for 2 in a 10, even dwarfs.

Don't know much about lobsters (except they are yummy with a bit of drawn butter :) ) but don't they eat fish? I'd be more worry about the fish than the lobster ....

I like my Bristlenose Plecos. They stay small. Also, there's the whip tail plecos that get to 6 inches at most. They are cool looking, but hard to find. Then you also have otos, which are probably one of the smallest cats that are algae eaters.

What about butterfly pleco? Don't they stay small?

I too have been pondering the addition of a small pleco to my 20 gal. My Oto just does't seem to do the job of keeping the glass clean.

Would it be a better idea to get more Oto's in my case or would the addition of a clown, rubber, butterfly or other small pleco be more effective as a "cleaner"?

As an aside, I was playing golf yesterday and looked into the water hazard to find a small colony (about 10) of about 18-24" Plecos sunning themselves on a submerged concrete slab. I thought it was pretty cool.

I have several bristlenoses. They came from the same liter/hatching and two of them are runts. These guys haven't gotten past the 2" mark since last August. As far as the healthy guys go, they've reached the 3.5" mark already. but I doubt if they are going to get any bigger.

pwrflpills said:
What about butterfly pleco? Don't they stay small?
That depends on what species you are talking about. There are a few species of pleco that are called "butterfly" plecos.
Gibbiceps plecos being one of the ones that go by that common name: http://vissen.javastart.be/static/vissen/pterygoplichthys_gibbiceps.jpg
If you mean those guys, they get to 18".

Here's another pleco that goes by that name: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/dekeyser/706_F.PHP

RoK said:

There's also L052's that are called Butterfly Plecos:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/dekeyser/983_F.PHP

I will say that I have an L052, and while it is a beautiful fish, it is extremely shy. Mine stays in under his driftwood all day, and shimmies away from anyone who looks at him too closely. Even at night with my moonlight on he hides for the most part.
Just FYI - I don't know if I'd recommend one or not, I guess it depends what you want.

I'm gonna second the clown pleco. I have one in a 10-gallon tank, my favorite fish =p

Butterfly pleco is also a common name for hillstream loaches, which are not suitable for the average tropical tank. They require fast-moving water, and do better in cooler temp's, since cooler water holds more oxygen.
One dwarf bristlenose will keep a 20 spotless as far as algae; I have an adult male in my 55, with light on 15-16 hours/day, and there is NO algae on the glass, rocks, etc.

Well I can't find anything on Dwarf bristlenose plecos. At least not in the last 30 mins. I also like the pitbull. I have a rubbernose in 2 tanks, but I very rarely see them, and that isn't what I am looking for.
I have seen butterfly loaches, kewl looking fish.. I do have some good current, but it is not a cool tank. It sits near a window and stays about 80 all the time. So I guess that isn't a good choice.
HAHAHAHA donttaptheglass - yes, the zebra is a beautiful fish, costly.... way too costly for me...(especially since our car just took a crapper)

Thanks so far for all the suggestions so far, All are welcome.

Back
Top Bottom