what types of fish has bitten you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
e-cat said:
turning my head too see who scored in a hockey game

So much for trying to dispel some stereotypes! :D

I'm also laughing because Sixfootdaisy has only gotten touched by a gourami, and 'ol SoCal here has been mauled by just about every aquatic species known to man! Hey, man, STAY OUT OF THE OCEAN!

My oscar bites me frequently lol, apperently my fingers look like worms. I don't really mind it now but once he gets bigger its gonna be a problem. So now i just stand back and throw the food into the tank.
I also get nibbled on by my bettas now and then

ashley

Zic

Must be the way I taste. I eat a lot of seafood. I have also been bitten by many other types of animal, mostly aquatic though. It probably would have been easier for me to tell you what hasn't bitten me. LOL

Reberly,

Yep, eels can certainly be that dangerous. They have VERY sharp, curvy teeth which can do a lot of damage to fingers (take them off, probably?). They are carnivorous and when larger can be quite viscious, though I've read about very tame eels swimming alongside divers.

Morays are infamous for their bite, and the larger they are the more dangerous. There is a green eel (NASTY looking fish) in the NYAquarium which must be 7 feet long (they get 8 feet long in aquariums!), and is easily a foot in diameter. I was gobsmacked when I saw him. He is the largest specimen I have ever seen (I thought the fish only got about 3 feet long before that day). See http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=21&pCatId=762 for a description. I think their "180 Gallon" minimum tank limit is really on the low side).

So, a word to the wise when you're in the fish store, and scuba diving!

You think your skin has taken on a fishy flavor from eating seafood? :lol: Ol SoCal is like the crocodile hunter of the aquatic world.

<In my best Aussie voice> What we have here is the rare NINE FOOT AUSTRIALIAN DEATH EEL! It's fangs are sharp and it's bite is vicious. Right now, he's getting very agitated by my presence. He's thrashing about saying "I'm going to bite you if you don't back off" I bet he packs a mighty whallop. Let's have a closer look. See, he has these large.....AHHH! TERRY GET THE TRANQ GUN! AHHH!

That was an exerpt from the last episode. :D SoCal stay out of Australia, too! :mrgreen:

I get bitten by something every day, i am used to it now and it doesn't bother me. I would say that out of all the fish in the store it is the cichlids that make me jump the most. i have even had some of them draw blood, but it is all in a days work.
There was one fish that worried me once and that was a 36" Red Tail Cat fish that a friend of mine had. I went round to clean his tank for him, and while i was cleaning the aquarium glass the cat fish came up to me and took the Algae magnet and my hand. it took me a couple of seconds to realise that my hand was still connected to the algae magnet and he had taken it all, up to my wrist. But luckly enought he didn't like the taste of the algae magnet and let it go. And once i was helping a friend out in his store and i was cleaning out this tank, i didn't get bitten but i got thrown across the store when i got a shock from the Electric Catfish that lived in the tank, i thought the tank was empty. (how wrong was i) My friend thought it was really funny, and was laughing for a week.

See, I would come into your store just to watch you clean those tanks. That'd be hilarious, like watching Mr Bean. The electric catfish threw you ALL the way across the store?!? Man, they must pack a mighty whallop :!:

Damn (one curse not censored out automatically). Well, that's what E-Cat can expect in a couple of years!!!!! As Jerry Seinfeld would say: "Well, good luck with...all *that.*"

I was " bitten " by my Fancy Male Molley before he died of Ick.

It really wasn't a bite, tho, it was more an atempt to get my attention so I would pet it.

Yes, it really liked to have its head petted 8O

The catfish was housed in a 300gal tank, i never see anything in there when i started to clean it, but after i picked myself of the floor there he was. And to this day i still say he was looking at me with a smile on his face. i would say that he was probably about 30", i will have a good look next time i go to my friends store. he still has him and i let him do the maintanance on it now. Once bitten twice shy or shocked in my case LOL

My danios bite at my arm/hair everytime i get my hands wet. My moonlight gourami circles my arm with his curb feelers, scared me the first time or well surprised me rather.

My fw Angels have attacked me when they were guarding eggs, but they couldn't get a grip or anything, dint hurt.

My pond fish try to eat hairs on my legs when I get in there to do cleaning/algae removal. Feels weird, but sure doesn't hurt. Firt time it happened, it freaked me out, until I realized what was going on!

Very minor sting from a lionfish many years ago when I was dabbling in SW. hurt a bit, swelled up some, was fine in a day or 2. Frankly, a Wasp sting is way worse than that was.

Being new, I have not been bitten by anything, but we do always have a hard time at work moving our pirahna around. A coworker wasn't bitten, but has had his arm slashed by the scales of the pirahna as he swam by and swatted the intruding arm. He's been grown on feeder fish, so he's rather aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom