What veggies or fruits do you feed your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I would like to provide my fish with a more varied diet, I'd like to know what veggies and/or fruits you feed your fish and how do you prepare/present them to your fish?

Also are there any veggies/fruits that you should not feed your fish?

Your suggestions are most appreciated!

Cucumber, Zukuni, Peas, Spinach and Lettuce.
Not sure what not to feed.

How do you feed them spinach and lettuce? I tried spinach but none of the fish seemed interested, did you weigh the leaves down?

With the cucumber and zucchini did you leave the skin on? Also did you cook them a bit first?

Diet Supplement

I would like to provide my fish with a more varied diet, I'd like to know what veggies and/or fruits you feed your fish and how do you prepare/present them to your fish?

Hello Mel...

One of the best veggies, if not the best is minced garlic. I feed it to my Fancy Guppies and Corydoras. It's higher in vitamins than just about anything else and is a natural antibiotic.

You just want to feed the kind with no additives. Just get the garlic with water. This is the most nutritious.

Just use a spoon to mash up the bits of garlic and drop it into the tank. My fish really go for it.

B

Hello Mel...

One of the best veggies, if not the best is minced garlic. I feed it to my Fancy Guppies and Corydoras. It's higher in vitamins than just about anything else and is a natural antibotic.

You just want to feed the kind with no additives. Just get the garlic with water. This is the most nutritious.

Just use a spoon to mash up the bits of garlic and drop it into the tank. My fish really go for it.

B

I have heard of people feeding their fish garlic but I was scared to do so, I will try it tomorrow. Can I just use fresh garlic and chop it up or should I crush/mash it?

Last edited:
Hello Mel...

One of the best veggies, if not the best is minced garlic. I feed it to my Fancy Guppies and Corydoras. It's higher in vitamins than just about anything else and is a natural antibotic.

B
Sorry if it's a dumb question but does it leave a smell in the water??

I have heard of people feeding their fish garlic but I was scared to do so, I will try it tomorrow. Can I just use fresh garlic and chop it up or should I crush/mash it?
I would only use it for interal parasites or intestinal problems. Though it can be used.

Spinach, garlic, cucumber, peas etc & I also ordered from NutsOnline, now Nuts.com | Premium Bulk & Wholesale Nuts, Dried Fruits & Gift Baskets
img1358m.jpg

All goes in the blender and then in the mini ice cube
img1449vl.jpg

One mini cube goes in & they go at it...
img1375mg.jpg

The aftermath..
img1369hw.jpg
[/quote]

When it comes to my goldfish I think a better question would be what vegetables don't I feed them? They seem to enjoy tearing apart broccoli. My ottos eat blanched cucumbers. They stopped eating algae altogether when I was feeding it to them on a regular basis. They would just hang out by the clip and wait for more.

The weirdest thing I've fed which actually works well is fresh raspberries just watch it turn your fish red hahha other more common are courgette and cucumber always a winner but if your looking for something different try raspberries!

Wow Rare that's a really interesting way to feed fish. Thanks for the photos too, what are those yellow fish you have called? They are beautiful!

The weirdest thing I've fed which actually works well is fresh raspberries just watch it turn your fish red hahha other more common are courgette and cucumber always a winner but if your looking for something different try raspberries!

Thanks for letting me know, I was actually expecting someone would say I could not feed my fish berries, but that's awesome that they eat raspberries.

Feeding Garlic

Hello again Mel...

I'm sure the unprocessed, fresh version would be fine, and just feed a bit. I feed mostly frozen foods, like brine and mysis shrimp, bloodworms, beef heart, krill and plankton. I avoid the flaked foods, so many additives and most of them I can't pronounce the names, so I don't feed it to my fish.

B

Feeding Garlic

Sorry if it's a dumb question but does it leave a smell in the water??

Hello Ian...

Not a dumb question at all considering garlic's history of not smelling that great. Anyway, there's no smell in the water that I've noticed. I keep larger tanks, and just feed my fish a little once a week. It's very good for them.

B

When it comes to my goldfish I think a better question would be what vegetables don't I feed them? They seem to enjoy tearing apart broccoli. My ottos eat blanched cucumbers. They stopped eating algae altogether when I was feeding it to them on a regular basis. They would just hang out by the clip and wait for more.

There isnt much I would not feed my guys except for the heavy starches (potatoes, corn, etc) and spicy stuff (onions, hot peppers). I have pretty much given them every imaginable fruit and veggie out there at one time or another. Just avoid the canned items (heavy in salt) and fruit packed in heavy syrup (way too much sugar). Items packed with vitamin C and antioxidants are great for keeping the immune system healthy and red/orange colored items act as natural color enhancers (such as red peppers). :)

Back
Top Bottom