What Was I Thinking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RussellC

Aquarium Advice Freak
What was I thinking?

My daughter tossed a ping pall into a cup about two years ago, and we came home with a Comet goldfish.

At least, that's the story I've been telling everyone for two years.

Only, that story isn't true.

Oh, the parts about the daughter and the ping pong ball and coming home with a fish are all true.

But after feeding the fish this evening I was watching them, as I often do....

I watched the little Shubunkin.

I watched each of the two Fantails.

And then it hit me.

Wait a minute... that's no Comet goldfish.

It's a Common!

I have to chuckle at myself, as I've been reading a lot about goldfish and caring for them lately, yet, it only strikes me now.

Ah well... Common or Comet, though it had a really rough start in a tank far too small, at least it has a much bigger home and an owner who's more educated about how to keep it, now.

Attachments

• DSC00193.jpg
    DSC00193.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 91
I really wish goldfish wouldn't be prizes. These people might as well sell kittens and say you don't need to do anything other than feed them and give them water.

When I was little my mom and I won one at a fair, I think it was a ping pong ball game as well. We kept that thing in our 90 gallon for 9 years until it finally got to big that we gave it to the pet store. With good care those things can get huge and live a long time.

I really wish goldfish wouldn't be prizes. These people might as well sell kittens and say you don't need to do anything other than feed them and give them water.

+1

I agree wholeheartedly. It's how I got started with goldfish, and I like the hobby, and goldfish, very much -- but I wouldn't patronize that kind of business again.

When I was little my mom and I won one at a fair, I think it was a ping pong ball game as well. We kept that thing in our 90 gallon for 9 years until it finally got to big that we gave it to the pet store. With good care those things can get huge and live a long time.

Due to stunted growth, I doubt my Common will reach full size. :-(

But I'll never forget the time I wandered into a LFS and saw a 10+ inch Comet for sale in one of the display tanks.

That fish made for a pretty impressive sight!

It's one thing to read how big these kinds of fish can get, another to actually see it up close.

Learning from past mistakes is all part of it. Join the crowd. We've all been there. At least you are willing to admit to it and learn from it. Unfortunately some people just don't get it.

Back
Top Bottom