What water treatments to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
While waiting for my 20 gal to cycle I was wondering what water treatments should I buy to keep on hand?

I have well water with a relatively high ph of 7.6 -7.8 from the tap. No ammonia or nitrate/ites or chlorine. So I was thinking of getting ph down.

I want to do a tropical community tank so what other additives will I need in the future?

I was thinking of stocking with zebra danio ,neons
Cory cats and maybe a dwarf gourami.

Water Treatments

While waiting for my 20 gal to cycle I was wondering what water treatments should I buy to keep on hand?

I have well water with a relatively high ph of 7.6 -7.8 from the tap. No ammonia or nitrate/ites or chlorine. So I was thinking of getting ph down.

I want to do a tropical community tank so what other additives will I need in the future?

I was thinking of stocking with zebra danio ,neons
Cory cats and maybe a dwarf gourami.

Hello Bix...

Your pH is fine. Most aquarium fish will adapt to a pH between 6 and 8.5 with no trouble. Don't ever try to change it. Well water isn't a problem. You treat it the same way you would public water supplies. Seachem's "Prime" is a good one, and there are others available.

Check to make sure all your fish will get along, before you buy them. Corydoras get along with most fish, but others may not get along with them. Do your homework.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

I don't recommend using any products such as ph up or down. They are a temp fix at best and are very hard on fish. I agree that Prime is all you need for treating your tap water. Also your ph is fine and it's better to have a stable ph that try messing with it and make it jump up and down.

Is the API dechlorinator water treatment stress zyme any good?

+1000 on the Prime...best water conditioner out there, and really all you need...(y)

Here's what I have learned in this hobby: Don't mess with any "chemicals" that promise to lower or raise something or that claim they will solve something going on in the tank...only in EXTREME cases, such as nasty bacterial infections, out of control Ich, etc. should medications be considered, and for the most part, doing regular water changes supplemented by a good quality conditioner such as Seachem's Prime is all you need to keep the system going...(y)

Back
Top Bottom