What would be your choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ricky 1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Not been on for awhile, in the process of moving, I have sold my original tank and intend to buy a 75g long tank when we get settled into our new place.
I Intend to have a one species tank, either Mbuna or Discus, I would like your thoughts on this, given the water quality is ok for both.........THANKYOU

Would you want to get into plants? There's two ways you can go about this since the two species you listed are pretty much the opposite. Discus- planted tank. Mbuna- rock work and anything to promote raising pH

Thanks Ff , I would like a change from plants so Mbuna would be good, however I absolutely love Discus, I just don't know which way to go, I need to get it right.....

Well if your into lots of hands on time and water changes go discus, but were talking 3x weekly changes. I'm partial to Malawi cichlids so I'm curious what one mbuna species you would do and in what numbers, any goals to breed? Kenyi are nice for a one species tank since the male and female are different colors.

WC is not a problem as I have a python TE, mbuna tend to be aggressive unless you have lots in the tank, I have seen mbuna tanks and they are so colourful and fast moving, quite the opposite to the slow but fantastic Discus, what would you choose??

WC is not a problem as I have a python TE, mbuna tend to be aggressive unless you have lots in the tank, I have seen mbuna tanks and they are so colourful and fast moving, quite the opposite to the slow but fantastic Discus, what would you choose??

It sounds like you are leaning towards Mbuna more. Go for it man. If you never kept cichlids and want a move away from plants. I'm all for that idea.

I do think discus are awesome, I've never took the plunge, I actually chose a reef tank before discus if that makes sense challenge wise. Not like reef tanks are easy lol.

I really enjoy mbuna, really all African Malawis. I have a 60 gal with 5 yellow tail acei, 4 yellow labs and a few peacocks so you can guess which direction I would go. There is aggression that must be attended to but overall I find them very rewarding. But the choice is yours which poison you pick.

Now that you have your mind made up. Can I through in another idea? Peacocks! you get the color and movement but not everyone trying to kill everyone all the time.

Thanks R2, they are stunning, could be an option, as you say not as aggressive.....

Back
Top Bottom