What Would Happen : Planted HOB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyfelts

Aquarium Advice Addict
I haven't done this but I am thinking about what would happen! if you had a deep enough HOB and planted some lets say.... Java Fern or Anubias within the HOB (obviously away from the impeller). What would happen, if the roots and growth were well managed, you had a CFL desk lamp pointing into the HOB, and also had the filter running. Would this help filtration or not?

I just like the idea because it could look almost like a small planter box for an underwater jungle! Please share you opinions and ideas!:popcorn:(y)

I haven't done this but I am thinking about what would happen! if you had a deep enough HOB and planted some lets say.... Java Fern or Anubias within the HOB (obviously away from the impeller). What would happen, if the roots and growth were well managed, you had a CFL desk lamp pointing into the HOB, and also had the filter running. Would this help filtration or not? I just like the idea because it could look almost like a small planter box for an underwater jungle! Please share you opinions and ideas!:popcorn:(y)
this is my discus breeding tank on the making kinda the same idea you have just that I planted the sump at the rear of the tank not a HOB kinda works the same way.

image-687077758.jpg

image-3248745585.jpg

image-2760474649.jpg

The plants are only cuttings went in around two days ago but once they are big like near the roof I'm gunna put the bogwood in the tank up into the middle so it looks like the roots of the plants coming out of the back should look pretty cool and besides looking good I love the fact it's like its own little Eco system I feed the fish they poo the plants eat the fish poo I will still be doing water changes and testing the water regularly just incase but hopefully my water changes will slow right down next to nothing. I will keep you updated to any problems or tips I find out on the way or you can go into the breeding section and look for my thread called joeys new tank breeding discus there you can see the tank from start to finish and a video of the filtration as a hole too!

I'm just worried about root growth and breaking the filter, otherwise, i wonder what would be some nice plants!

These plants are attached to slate or DW anyway. Just move them away from the intake and you will be fine. if you happen to get any debris, you will hear it in the impeller, and heat may build up causing a crack in the housing. But this is a worse case scenario. Try using a corse filter pad over the intake and you will be fine no matter what.

Back
Top Bottom