What would look good with a goldfish in a small tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceButler

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just recently picked up the cutest Ranchu goldfish you'd ever seen. It's only .5 inches, so I've got him in a 10-gallon all alone till he's ready to hang with the big guys.... maybe a couple of years, I dunno.

I'd like to have some tankmates that look fun together. I'm thinking ghost shrimp or frogs for bottom-walking type dwellers, but I'd like another fish. I thought of a betta first, but I think they might outshine eachother. I'd rather not have 2 "diva" fish in one tank.

What are some good small fish? Possibly schoolers. Maybe something more mechanical looking that the ranchu, like a tetra? I'd appreciate all suggestions.

I hope you know goldfish need cooler water (mid 60s-lower 70s farenheit) than tropicals. Shrimp should do okay in there. A dwarf frog MIGHT do okay but I think prefer warmer water of at least 72F.

Actually goldfish will eat dwarf frogs and any other type of frog may eat your goldfish. You could get some weather/ dojo loaches. Or it sounds like you might like some White Cloud (Mountain) Minnows which are small schooling fish that also prefer cooler water. Or you could get some smaller pleco, other than the common pleco that would eventually start to nibble on the goldfish. You could also get SAE's or some ottos.

white clouds will be good - until the ranchu gets big enough to eat em (maybe 3-4"), then you'll need to seperate the 2.

BTW - won't take too long for the goldy to get big. I had a 1/2" ryukin that is now 2+" after about 8 months.

Back
Top Bottom