What would work? Sharks? Clown Loach? Gold Snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey folks, my current tank setup is...

126L Freshwater Tropical Tank, establised for just over a year now and all is going well... containing:

4 or 5" Common Plecostomus (1)
Neon Tetras (7)
Baby Mollies (4)

I have kept a varied species together during this time including... Guppies, Ballon Molly, Black Molly, Armoured Shrimp, and Siamese Fighters (male)... during this time the only problems I had were that the neon's nipped the siamese fighters tail, and the tails of the guppies. Everything else got on fine that I've had together.

What I'd like to know is... as my tank is getting a bit bare just now... what type of shark would get along with the above CURRENT tank inhabitants? The local store has Red tailed, Red finned shark, and Black sharks. I quite like the black sharks but would worry about the molly babies which are about cm or two long.

My common plec is a bit lonely also, do they do better on their own or would another with it be better? A clown loach was my other idea, but don't want it to get in a fuss with the plec.

And finally... there is Gold Snails... with quite large shells, about a couple of cm's wide... what do they need? Would the plec eat it or the clown loach try?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sharks are definitely out (I had to use the conversion chart) since your tank is not large enough, as well as the loach.

I like the idea of the golden apple snail(s).

The thing is would the Golden Snails be crushed by the 4 or 5" Pleco I have or are they quite peaceful in that way and it's only the clown loach that would do that? Also, I thought the sharks would only grow to it's surroundings? Could I not get one?

Abolutely not. They can co-exist without having any problems. Yes, the shark grow only to their surroundings, but they continue to grow and will deform themselves. Bent spinal columns and an otherwise unhealthy existence is just not a good thing for them.

I didn't use the conversion chart so someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you really want some loaches how about some yo yos or kuhlis? They stay small and are just as entertaining as the clowns.

Oh right, I have a 4 or 5" Sailfin/Common Pleco in the tank just now and the tank is 31" long and 16" deep... is this large enough for it just now? It's a pretty big tank albeit not huuge.

Is this a bowfront style tank? From the description it seems to be. The sailfins' max adult size will be @ 18".

Good suggestion for the loach...those are pretty entertaining and won't get as big as the clowns.

Not a bowfront tank no. I will see if they have any other loaches at the LFS then... would it get along with the pleco then... and just one or two of them yes? What is this conversion chart?

They will get along...no problem there. The conversion chart can be found in the "calculator" in the upper right where the links are.

I thought bow front from the odd dimensions.

Clow loches love snails. If you get them you need to buy a pair, they school toghether. They should be fine with plecos. In my 55 I have 3 plecos and 2 clowns.

Just heading off now, thanks for all your help... just wondering if my pleco at it's size right now is still okay for the size of tank?

I ended up coming back with 1 LARGE Gold Snail and a MEDIUM sized Freshwater Shrimp... it's so refreshing to see a shrimp in the tank again after being so long without our Armoured Shrimp... and he's taken to it with ease and has already been all over it within 10 minutes... even more alarming though is that the first thing he did when put in in the water was go and climb all over our 5" Plec who is sitting at the back of the tank. He has been sitting and roaming about on the Plec's head numerous times now (possibly cleaning him?)... and it's quite worrying that the Plec may decide to turn on the thing which has been climbing on his eyes and face. I haven't seen the Plec blink this much before! Maybe he thinks the plec is a rock with it's brown and black complexion? Anyway, he's been cleaning the tank debris already so I'm happy with the shrimp

The snail however has still to come out of his shell (pardon the pun)... and has yet to even come near the shells entrance... perhaps still in shock or?

I am going to think a bit more about what I'd like with regards to the Loaches as there are quite a few at the store. Thanks for the help.

if you can find them, angelicus loaches (botia kubotai) are really beautiful, stay relatively small and are quite fun to watch. i have a bunch of kuhli loaches and it's so fun to watch them play with each other--they really do play--it's so cute!

Back
Top Bottom