What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlrose74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a 29 G tank running for several years now. All that remained were 4 Zebra Danios, 1 cory cat, and an albino Pleco. I was looking to build back up my stock. I went to a local store that is known to be quite reputable and (off of a friend's suggestion) spoke to the "fish guy" there. Told him what was in my tank and asked what he suggested. He recommended (in phases) building back up my school of danios, a school of tetras, and pair of dwarf gouramis. OK, so first I bought 2 dwarf gouramis. I told them I had heard the males can be territorial and aggressive with one another. He assured me that in a 29G two would be completely fine since I have a lot of plants for hiding. Within three days one had attacked the other so severely that I returned one of them to the store. They did not issue me a refund on that fish despite the fact that, I feel, I had been given bad advice by them. So a couple of weeks later, went back to the same place (my bad!) because the options are limited where I live. Same guy recommended a school of tetras and I went home with 6 serpae tetras and was assured that they were a peaceful community fish that would do well with what I had. (YOu know where this is going!) Now, 4 days later, my remaining gourami, many of the serpaes, and even a few of my danios have their fins nipped like crazy. What do I do? Do I take them back? Should I demand a refund since I received more bad advice? I, unfortunately, do not have another aquarium to move them to. Will the other fish regrow their nipped fins? Any help would be appreciated!

IMO, I would first get at least two more Cories (preferably four more as they like schools of five or more) and at least one more Danio Rerio (also like schools of five or more). Let them settle in and let your tank catch up and then think about your next fish by doing your own research and don't rely on the pet shop guys to give you advise.

blert said:
IMO, I would first get at least two more Cories (preferably four more as they like schools of five or more) and at least one more Danio Rerio (also like schools of five or more). Let them settle in and let your tank catch up and then think about your next fish by doing your own research and don't rely on the pet shop guys to give you advise.

I agree.

Welcome to the forum.

This lfs guy sounds like a real treasure. I would go there if they have healthy fish but I would not count on the staff there to help me with stocking ideas.

Ultimately, it's up to us, the fishkeepers, to do LOTS of research PRIOR to purchase. Only then can you have the peaceful tank you're looking for.

Clean water will help your fish regrow their finnage.

Do you know what species of pleco you have? If common you will have to rehome it.

So do you think I should return the serpaes? And what might you recommend in their place? I do intend to build back up the school of danios and corys. Those that I have are left from schools I have had for a couple of years. I agree that it is up to me to do research, but, honestly, I think it is overwhelming and confusing because their is soooo much conflictual advice out there.

I had a school of serpaes in a community tank and they were not nippy at all. I've heard lots of stories from other fishkeepers, though, that they can be a problem.

I can highly recommend rummynose tetras and white cloud mountain minnows as peaceful community fish for your tank.

Back
Top Bottom