What would you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mayreee

Aquarium Advice Activist
My friend gave me a goldfish. It was in a 2gal and I felt bad for it so I put it in a 15gal I have. Well now I am not sure I want the goldfish. It is not going to live a good life in the 15gal. It produces more waste than the bacteria can handle. I even used twice the dose of bio spira and it didn't help the nitrites go down. I don't really have feelings for this fish but my friend does. I can't give it back to her because she lives in GA. I know it isn't going to have a good life if I take it to a LFS. I can't put it to sleep even in the most humane way. I just don't know what to do with it. What would you do?

post him for free in your local forum, and keep it in the 15 gal untill you find a taker. and LOTS of water changes. How big is he?

I agree with Melody, I would put up an ad for him in the local forum. Hopefully he'll find a good home where he's cherished.

If not, you may want to consider a small upgrade for him. Some of the fish that were obtained and I didn't really want have grown to be favourites in short order.

Thanks guys! He is only like 2 inches and I moved him into the 5 gallon :( I will do water changes every day if needed. I love my python :D Believe me the 5 gal is only temp. for now. I think I can manage to take care of the water. I don't have the money or the room for another tank. I will just try and be positive and think he will find a good home. I really really let this fish stuff get to me sometimes. Almost to the point that I think it may be unhealthy.

Im in the exact same boat as you. My friend moved across canada and dumped her fish on me. She had a fancy goldfish (under 2 inches) and common (under an inch) a neon and an adf all packed into one of those stupid 2 gallon hex tanks. I put the two goldies in a 5 gallon with extremely diligent water changes and a large filter. Im hoping to find a larger tank garage saling. I dont mind having these fish now but Im going off to school in a bit and I cant lug my own fish AND hers to dorms with me. The thought of school and what Im going to do with all my fish and tanks scares me. hahah. Im thinking I will ask customers at work if theyd take the fish. Maybe I will post a notice on the doors. I work at a grocery store so hopefully I should be able to find a taker easily.

One goldfish in a 15gal tank doesn't sound bad, I thought they needed at least 10....

maybe more water changes will get your nitrites down

also, if there is a filter and the ammonia and what not are on the high side, goldfish are REALLY hardly. Id just keep him in the 15

you can also try www.goldfishparadise.com if you are adament about not keeping him

Try putting him up for free, make sure he goes to a good home.

Dan

P.S. Mayree Great picture of your Blood Parrot Cichlid. It is a blood parrot cichlids right :D .)

Back
Top Bottom