What would you do ??? A LFS sold me this fish as ......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimeeBee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A LFS here sold me the fish in the pictures below as a Synodontis Multipunctata - when it clearly is NOT. I told the people at the store that I did not think this was a Multi but they were adamant that it was, so I purchased the fish.

I believe this is a Synodontis Eupterus (a.k.a. "Featherfin Squeaker" Synodontis) which is typically sold for $10 - $12. Well they sold me this fish for $44 b/c they said it was a Multipunctata.

So what do you all think ??? Is this a Synodontis Multipunctata (Cuckoo) -or- Is this a Synodontis Eupterus (Featherfin) ???
and "if" this is indeed a Featherfin (as I believe that it is), what would you do about this ???

(*** Notice that this fish has spots ALL OVER its entire body from head to fin (even underneath). I mean even the fins are spotted - unlike the Multi. He also swims up-side down quite a bit - again unlike the Multi)
no.gif
SMH ...

IMG_3794.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

Every picture I've ever seen of a Multi does not look like this fish looks. Except for the spots, this fish looks very different from a Multi to me. I have looked at pictures in books as well as the numerous pictures you will find on hundreds of internet sites - and I think the outline of the Multi looks very different than this fish - which has no outline at all - just spots. But hey......I hope I'm wrong ...... I hate feeling like I paid $44 for a $12 fish.

Welcome to AA. :)

My personal opinion is, caveat emptor.

If you have doubts about what the LFS is telling you, and you make the purchase anyway based solely on their recommendation/explanation, then it's on you. I'm not trying to be harsh in any way, but when in doubt, research before purchase can only help to get what you want into your tank.

As an aside, $44 sounds awfully high for a multipunctatus. The shop I used to work for sold them for under $20, but granted that was several years ago.

Welcome to AA. :)

My personal opinion is, caveat emptor.

If you have doubts about what the LFS is telling you, and you make the purchase anyway based solely on their recommendation/explanation, then it's on you. I'm not trying to be harsh in any way, but when in doubt, research before purchase can only help to get what you want into your tank.

As an aside, $44 sounds awfully high for a multipunctatus. The shop I used to work for sold them for under $20, but granted that was several years ago.

I purchased the fish b/c I guess I thought (and expected) the people who do this for a living to know just a little more than I do about the fish they are selling - so I took their word and assumed that maybe "I" was just mistaken in my identification of the fish. This was not a Pet Smart or Petco store where you might expect that the people working there might not really know anything about the pets they are selling - this was a privately owned LFS where the owner of the store and the person who typically orders the fish is always there - so I expected more. I guess that was an unreasonable expectation. Lesson Learned.

And I've seen Multi's priced as high as $59 (on the internet) so I thought I was getting a good deal at $44 while trying to support a LFS. The fish is about 3 inches long. But Again......Lesson Learned. I will never shop there again.

Never trust those people at LFS because they won't know everything about fishes. If you did your research thoroughly, then you will be able to identify the fish and know more about it than the LFS sales people.

Before I buy my puffers, I post live pictures of the fish on online forums to get second opinions for identification. I've seen some fish misidentified at LFS.

As for your fish, I think it is NOT a Synodontis Multipunctata or a Synodontis Multipunctata. I think it looks very similar to the Pimelodus pictus.

Never seen a syno like that, definetly not Multipunctata, theres heaps of Syno. Hybrids, you may never find out what type it is, it may be a whole new hybrid lol
I would definetly keep him, Hes interesting, unique and has good markings(y)
Also Multis and Ocellifers are expensive here in Aus where i am AUD$80 plus, Eupterus and Nigriventis are still cheap though

But Again......Lesson Learned. I will never shop there again.
I think the lesson learned should be to research your fish and know what you're buying... not blaming it on the LFS. It's your money, they didn't make you buy it. It's happened to all of us, we've bought something, thought it was this way or that way, come to find out, it's nothing like what we wanted. Lesson learned. Be 100% sure on what you want, and get it. The exception is when you order online. If you order something, you expect to get what you ordered. That's the only time I would blame the store.

I think the lesson learned should be to research your fish and know what you're buying... not blaming it on the LFS. It's your money, they didn't make you buy it. It's happened to all of us, we've bought something, thought it was this way or that way, come to find out, it's nothing like what we wanted. Lesson learned. Be 100% sure on what you want, and get it. The exception is when you order online. If you order something, you expect to get what you ordered. That's the only time I would blame the store.

This was not a Pet Smart or Petco store where you might expect that the people working there might not really know anything about the pets they are selling - this was a privately owned LFS where the owner of the store and the person who typically orders the fish is always there - so I expected more. I guess that was an unreasonable expectation. Lesson Learned.

This is NOT my profession - it is my hobby. When I questioned the identity of the fish, they were adamant that it was a Multi - so I took their word for it and assumed that "I" was mistaken until I got home and could compare the fish with pictures I have in books and pictures that I could see online.

When I spend money with people who call themselves "professionals" I expect them to know what they are doing. When I spend my money - I EXPECT TO GET WHAT I'M BEING TOLD THAT I AM BUYING - PERIOD - regardless of whether or not it is a store front purchase or an internet purchase. But if this is the type of "service" I'm going to get from LFS, then I will take my money and my business to the internet - and maybe I'll get what I pay for there.

*** Blaming the customer ? Wow ... that's rich.

This was not a Pet Smart or Petco store where you might expect that the people working there might not really know anything about the pets they are selling - this was a privately owned LFS where the owner of the store and the person who typically orders the fish is always there - so I expected more. I guess that was an unreasonable expectation. Lesson Learned.

This is NOT my profession - it is my hobby. When I questioned the identity of the fish, they were adamant that it was a Multi - so I took their word for it and assumed that "I" was mistaken until I got home and could compare the fish with pictures I have in books and pictures that I could see online.

When I spend money with people who call themselves "professionals" I expect them to know what they are doing. When I spend my money - I EXPECT TO GET WHAT I'M BEING TOLD THAT I AM BUYING - PERIOD - regardless of whether or not it is a store front purchase or an internet purchase. But if this is the type of "service" I'm going to get from LFS, then I will take my money and my business to the internet - and maybe I'll get what I pay for there.

I would also be upset if my LFS had some false advertisement for a fish that cost $40+. Please try to understand that all LFS, whether private or chain LFS or online store, will not be able to always identify the exact fish species. They get it right most of the time, but they can be wrong too. The seller order their fish from suppliers, who will also misidentify some fish. Most of the time, they will not know about your fish as much as you do. PLUS they are all biased sellers.

I've experienced some of my trusted private LFS lie to me about how long a fish has been on the shelf or where they get their fish (I been to every fish store within a 50 mile radius, and visit each of them frequently). Try to ask the same question about a fish to different employees on different days, but don't be surprised to find out they tell you different things about a particular fish.

For your case, either you LFS knew it wasn't a multi and made money off you (which I don't suspect). Or the LFS trusted the supplier in identifying your fish as a multi at the time of purchase. Then received the fish and advertised it as a multi. There are a lot of gray areas that we don't know about since we never worked at those fish store before.

I still like your fish and think it looks better than a multi.

I would be mad if someone tried to sell me something that is not, however it really boils down to to being a informed consumer. You have the money which means as the consumer you have all the power because its up to you wether you spend your money there and continue to come back.

From the pictures that you have posted the fish in question looks like a Synodontis Multipunctatus, IMO. I have kept a number of Syno. Eruptus and that isn't one, they are alot more compact, darker in color and have smaller spots. I have seen hybrids of different Syno species, the more common one I have seen is the "Jaguar Syndontis".

Most Syndontis I have seen in stores/ online are normally $12-25 US. The only time I have seen them above this price is if they are wild caught and thus demand a higher price.

KimeeBee said:

*** Blaming the customer ? Wow ... that's rich.

You obviously felt that you might be getting misinformation which is why the LFS had to "insist" the fish was identified correctly. Fish stores make mistakes. Perhaps the fish was incorrectly identified at the wholesaler and this owner believes he received what he ordered. Obviously the 2 fish are similar enough to make a mistake like that.

I personally think that you are frustrated that you didn't trust your own instincts and now feel like you made a mistake. You are correct... There was an important lesson learned. The moment that you had any doubt or hesitation, you could have pulled back. You could have asked the owner to hold the fish until you could further research or passed on the fish completely. When you make a purchase, it is up to the consumer to be prepared for their purchase. We all must take the initiative to look out for our own best interests. To place blind trust that a merchant (or anybody for that matter) is going to put your interests in front of their own is truly just asking to be disappointed. The owner of the LFS may have done the best he could with what information he had available but people make mistakes. EVERYBODY makes them. Unfortunately, you may have also made one today by not listening to your gut reaction when it told you something was wrong.

It looks like you received a beautiful fish. Perhaps you paid a price that was too high, but that is a risk that all consumers take. My hope is that you are able to enjoy your beautiful new fish.

To defend those who do work at pet stores, like me, in almost every case we label the fish same as what's on the sheet we get from our suppliers. And most lfs don't just have fish so they don't hire based on fish knowledge per say. Maybe the person is good with birds or reptiles. I don't feel that its fair to put the blame all on the store.

Back
Top Bottom