What would you do if.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I'd use a huge tank like that for fish. That tank will be 3000-3600 pounds when set up. There's not a single floor in my house that could support that except the basement. I'd go for a mansion for a small mammal. If I did have to pick fish I'd expand my setup for naturally coloured commons (goldfish). I've got one right now that looks just like a carp from the river. I'd do a whole river setup. With a basement made of river rock the tank would fit right in.

School

I think I'd get a MESS of small, schooling fish. Like hundreds of tetras or something. The schooling phenomenon is amazing to watch.

I really haven't seriously considered anything, I'm going to go look at it today and it'll probably be a while before I can accually get it set up ( funds/time ). But I do enjoy thinking about it a lot :) :) I would really like to have some oscars, love how they look swimming. If there were small fish in there the oscars would try to eat them, but what do you think about their survivabilty if given lots hidding room? It would be cool to mix big ones and small ones but that mey be mean for the little ones :cry:

You should put ogelthorpe and emory in there (Nice avatar :lol: ). Remember, they do not eat their own farts.

But seriously... an arowana would be awesome.

personally, I would go for a heavily planted, grassy tank with some massive (quantity, not size) schooling fish and an assortment of shrimp, plecos, loaches, cories and otos - maybe a pair of Angels to rule over them all.

get schools of:
5--giant silver dollars
12-glass cats
5-giant moonlight gourami
3-8"kissing gourami
5--exotic pleco's (like goldnuggets and vampires)
12--very exotic cichlids (the ones which almost look like they would be salt water, from the T-something lake in africa)
10-shark cats (like silver fin, pictus...)
5-needle fish

one jumbo black ghost knife (20")

im sure theres more...i can always edit

but if the pleco's couldnt handle the algae, im sure 300 snails wouldnt hurt

hc8719 said:
get schools of:
5--giant silver dollars
12-glass cats
5-giant moonlight gourami
3-8"kissing gourami
5--exotic pleco's (like goldnuggets and vampires)
12--very exotic cichlids (the ones which almost look like they would be salt water, from the T-something lake in africa)
10-shark cats (like silver fin, pictus...)
5-needle fish

one jumbo black ghost knife (20")

im sure theres more...i can always edit

but if the pleco's couldnt handle the algae, im sure 300 snails wouldnt hurt

lots of incompats in this list. in terms of water and behaviour.

...were suppose to fantasize right?

ive only ever taken care of glass fish and the gourami's before, i dont know anything about the others, besides what are the chances that i'd get a 300 gal (but i would do my research before buying them)

i suppose it was the cichlids that tipped the scale though?

I think a tank of angel fish and red wag platys or other bright colored live bearer would be cool. The angels will consume some of the young to keep the tank balanced.

hc8719 said:
...were suppose to fantasize right?

i suppose it was the cichlids that tipped the scale though?

among other things. :D
if we are going to fantasize though....

30 discus.
15 angels.
15 julii corys.
15 balas.
6 arrowanas.

I don't think I'd put any arrowana in there. I still think its too small for a three foot fish to live its life.

oscars like to rearrange tanks. and im not sure about size and eating.
but you could buy a hand fll of each , albino,tiger,green and red ones. and just let them grow up.
try to get a pleco thats a little bigger and it will grow with the tank or two. but if you decide to get oscars you dont really need to many plants.
and they are amazing fish i cant wait until can get some.
i think it would be best to stick with them all the same size. :)
goodluck and enjoy

1 vote for Oscars....
1 vote for discus comunity tank...
1 vote for arrowana!

Had them all and they are all so amazing in their own ways! Colour, Temperment, Intelligence and of coarse Ellegance!

I say Arowna. I want a couple some day so bad.

Hey, is a 290 big enough for a Red Tail Catfish? Probably not but they are one of my favorite fish.

Osacar's, Pleco's...tons of driftwood, rocks....

AWWW....I can't take it anymore...Enjoy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom