What would you do - stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
Put on your thinking caps folks! I'm looking for ideas and wondering what you would do if you were in my shoes.

I have a 50 gallon coming my way in the future months and not sure which direction to take this whole set up.

Currently I have a 20 gallon tall that some may consider over stocked. It has
5 neons
5 lambchop rasbora
1 Sunset DG
4 platy - 3F 1M

Everyone is great, I have zero water quality issues and am running good filtration - 2 Penguin 150s with biowheels but I'm not against rehoming some to the 50 if it is needed OR would open up some nice options in the 20 too.

I know with out a doubt I want angels. I would like 2 in the 50 but am ok with a single if it's better.

Hubby was hoping to keep a shark in this tank, he was completely fascinated with the redtails at the pet store and thinks our kids would be totally jazzed about "owning a shark". I agreed to explore the option though worry about how drastically this will limit our options on tank mates. If there is a better shark that would work better in a community set up then I'm cool with exploring that option too.

I hope to work some of these fish into the setup
rams
more platy as I'm hoping to keep some fry
swordtails
other DGs
rainbows - though may be an issue with availability
Rummy nose and buenos aires tetras are of interest for schoolers
I would like a single bottom dweller. Other than a common plecos are of short supply at the LPS. I saw a featherfin cat that I really liked or if the shark could work into something neat I'd be open to that.
I do love tiger barbs but know they can be a real PITA to try and work into a community but if this could go with a set up with angels and the shark I may be inclined to check it out.

I know this seems like a giant mess and i'm sorry I can't make better sense of this. I really hope someone can help give me some ideas on what you think would be great with what is listed.
Ideally I'd like to switch up the 20 a bit and move some of these, though not sure who, over to the 50 and stock up both tanks around this and the angels but I'm fairly certain that it completely outs the shark idea. Are any of my current stock doable with a shark and angel?

Two angels in a 50 would be fine. Don't know about the shark with the angels. Rummy nose tetras do great with angels, as do Diamond, Lemon, and Cardinal tetras (no neon tetras they are too small and will be on the dinner menu). Buenos Aires tetras can be angel nippers and I don't think I'd trust them. Have you considered some smaller loaches, yoyo loaches are fun to watch and don't get too big, clown loaches do get way too big for that size tank, Kuhli loaches are unique. Cory cats are a great with angels and tetras and do fine with loaches. Hatchet fish are also a unique top water fish that go well with the above fish. Tiger barbs would terrorize angels and probably tetra's. You'd be fine with more platy's. Personally the only Rainbow fish I would consider would be the small Threadfin Rainbow fish or Dwarf Neon rainbow fish.

yea I know there are a lot of different fish that are good with angels I just have some personal faves I've been wanting to work into my set up.

I know several cories or loaches are options but wanted to stick with a singleton over a shoal. Part of that is that my LPS rarely sells loaches or cories under proper names.. In fact all of their cories are kept in a tank and labeled "assorted corys".

I was kind of hoping someone would have a recommendation on the shark/angelfish tank idea or a nice set up with some of the listed fish that would go well with an angel or 2. Or fish in my 20 that would go well with the angels and options from the list that could go into my 20

I should have added that the angels and if a shark were to happen would be juveniles as well. Angels are usually about an inch or so body size at the LPS so this is what I would opt for. They also only keep juvenile sharks.

Some options I've thought about are-

1-2 angels
2 rams
2-3 DGs - moving my current sunset over and adding one.
a few swordtails
my school of lambchops and up it a few
a single catfish of some type if there is room

I know there is a chance as the angels grow the rasbora will become a targeted snack. Seems like mixed views on this as some say they have success with angels when "raised" with their tank mates and others say flat out no. I'm also not certain on the DGs and angels??Moving the Dg and rasbora would free up some room in the 20 and allow for some fry.

Another thought was

1-2 angels
2 rams
Move my platy to this tank
a school of rummy nose tetra
some swordtails
and something else?

I would love to have hatchets but I've yet to see them at the LPS and in Canada we have very little options for online buying. :(

Anyone have any thoughts on these?

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, but the redtail sharks are the only ones that stay small, around 4" I think, they are semi-agressive, but then so are the angels. The rams are also dwarf cichlids, considered semi-agressive, so they would go too. There could be other barbs that don't nip so bad at angels. Look up some info on the redtail sharks until someone who actually has one comes on. I've kept angels and rams, actually have 10 angels and 11 rams right now, but in all the years I've kept angels I never kept a shark in with them.

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, but the redtail sharks are the only ones that stay small, around 4" I think, they are semi-agressive, but then so are the angels. The rams are also dwarf cichlids, considered semi-agressive, so they would go too. There could be other barbs that don't nip so bad at angels. Look up some info on the redtail sharks until someone who actually has one comes on. I've kept angels and rams, actually have 10 angels and 11 rams right now, but in all the years I've kept angels I never kept a shark in with them.

yea, I'm hoping someone comes on with some shark experience.

I remember years ago when I was in my teens babysitting for a woman that had 2 sharks with an angel. I don't know what type of sharks but from memory I think rainbow or bala. They were certainly a silvery color. Everything seemed fine but who knows.. I've been researching sharks but there is SO much conflicting info out there I'm hoping for someone with some solid experience.

Edit - I know rainbows stay about 6 inches and tend to be more peaceful. I can't get a solid on what is and is not ok with them.. I keep seeing "are aggressive with their own kind or similar looking fish" but nothing about other community fish really.

I dont have experince with a red tail shark, but i do currently have 4 roseline sharks (denison barbs) and an albino rainbow shark. It's always been my understanding that angels are teritorial. So to mix the two breeds put the shark in first (about a week) before the angels, and everyone will be happy. I have also been led to understand that like the albino rainbow shark, the Red tail likes to be the only one of his kind in a tank, unless they are ALL red tails.

I dont have experince with a red tail shark, but i do currently have 4 roseline sharks (denison barbs) and an albino rainbow shark. It's always been my understanding that angels are teritorial. So to mix the two breeds put the shark in first (about a week) before the angels, and everyone will be happy. I have also been led to understand that like the albino rainbow shark, the Red tail likes to be the only one of his kind in a tank, unless they are ALL red tails.

this is my general understanding as well. Does your rainbow stick to the lower level mostly?

I've been reading a lot about how redtails are bottom dwellers and because angels are more to the top and that this also will reduce the risk for aggression.

I just want to mention that if you keep platys and swordtails together interbreeding is very likely. If you want to keep pure strains, I recommend not housing them together. Here is a picture of a platy-swordtail hybrid. Of course, the coloration varies.

Attachments

• Swordtail Platy Hybrid.jpg
    Swordtail Platy Hybrid.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 118
I just want to mention that if you keep platys and swordtails together interbreeding is very likely. If you want to keep pure strains, I recommend not housing them together. Here is a picture of a platy-swordtail hybrid. Of course, the coloration varies.

This sort of crossed my mind. Good to know for sure if can happen. hmmm..

Yes. Interbreeding is almost a sure thing when keeping them together.

yes, I figured as much I just wasn't' 100% on whether they were ones that the offspring would actually survive or not.

If I went with both I'd probably just stick with all 1 sex or have thought perhaps let nature takes it's course. I'm not sure how likely fry would be to survive in that set up.

this is my general understanding as well. Does your rainbow stick to the lower level mostly?

I've been reading a lot about how redtails are bottom dwellers and because angels are more to the top and that this also will reduce the risk for aggression.

Yes. My albino stays low unless he is toying with the roselines. He will often swim after them, but they never fight each other. He eats algea wafers and they sink. 90% of the time he just eats and hides. I believe thats the same as the red tail.

Yes. My albino stays low unless he is toying with the roselines. He will often swim after them, but they never fight each other. He eats algea wafers and they sink. 90% of the time he just eats and hides. I believe thats the same as the red tail.

he only eats algae wafers? Interesting. I know red-tails are mostly carnivores but algae or veggie matter is said to help bring out their color. hmmm.

I had also thought that adding the shark first would be a bad idea. I've always thought and practiced adding the more aggressive fish last. I'd be worried that adding him first would allow him the chance to choose a huge area that is his and then I'd shoot myself in the foot with other tank members.

From all the reading I've been doing I've seen lots of cases of people keeping RTBs with angels, rams, dgs, and even platy with success. You need a well planted tank with lots of caves/cover to break up sight lines along the bottom, keeping in mind an area that would be claimed by the RTB. Add it to an established tank and as young as possible. Most of my reading seems to say that it will stick mostly to the bottom so most higher swimmers will be ignored unless they venture into it's space and avoid other fish with similar looks.

I'm going to keep researching but I'm starting to feel like maybe I could make this happen.

Ideally I would like something like

1-2 angels
2 rams
2dgs
1 rtb
lambchop rasbora
platy

1 of the dgs, 5 rasbora and 4 platy will come from my 20. I wavered on the rasbora but I don't think they will be angel food. They are pretty big really when I think about it. easily double my neons size. Mine very rarely ever venture to the lower level of the tank so I think it may be worth a try with the shark. If things do fly apart than I can move any of these additions back to the 20 worst case.

Not set on it but this is an idea that I think, fish personalities depending, might stand a decent chance of working.

I like that idea quite a bit. And, if the other fish get along with the rasbora I recommend getting more. At least 3 more, but huge schools of them look amazing. I just read that when in large groups the coloration of the rasbora are better because of competition for mates.

I like that idea quite a bit. And, if the other fish get along with the rasbora I recommend getting more. At least 3 more, but huge schools of them look amazing. I just read that when in large groups the coloration of the rasbora are better because of competition for mates.

I was actually planning to up them as well. lol. I love the look of a nice large school. I was hoping to up it to 8-10. Even with just 5 they school really well in my 20 so I think they would be fantastic in a larger tank with more.

I was debating some rummy nose. I would have liked to try buenos aires but I hear they can be nippers?

I also debated upping the platy numbers some instead but really not sure. A lot of it comes down to the local pet store. We only have 1 in the area and they can be real hit or miss on what they offer.

Back
Top Bottom