What would you put in a 5.5 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrsmarsig

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
I've got a 5.5 minibow set up that I've planted and I'm looking for some interesting fish that could be kept in a tank that small. Any suggestions, or opinions would be appreciated. I know that's not much room for fish, so I'm trying to put some thought into what I stock it with.
Thanks

In my 5 gal I have a betta and an oto. LOL everyone seems to have bettas in those kinds of tanks though.

a betta is basically the only thing that would be really comfortable in a tank that small. i have a few guppies in a 5 gallon that are also very nice. or you could go with a tank with all cnails and shrimp and stuff. just my opinion

If you like guppies, but personally id go for a betta, hed love all the space! and you could get a few bottom feeders, like some ottos or cories.

There are several species that could be kept in a 5.5 gallon tank. Of course you couldn't keep a lot of fish in a tank that size. You could try a trio of cherry barbs along with some smaller rasboras. You might also want to look at one of the smaller gouramis with some pygmy cories. I really like a planted tank and have found so far that there is no size too small for some live plants.

Spare change so I could buy a larger tank. :wink:

J/K, and welcome :!:

Options are pretty limited for long term selections. Possibilities include:

Betta
3-5 Small Tetras
otto
2-3 guppies
couple of platies or swords ?
dwarf gourmi ?
small barbs ?
Juvenial fish waiting transfer to larger tank (I use to do this with a 5.5 g and 10g for african chiclid fry)
Plants (properly prepared it could be a nice planted tank)

Good luck,

you could also probably do 5 of the really small neon tetras

Thanks for all the advice...still haven't decided and haven't had time to shop anyways. The plants, though, are growing nice and hopefully I'll get to the fish shop soon!

Back
Top Bottom