What's an ideal use for a 20 gal high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. R

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a chance to get a used twenty gal high setup and stand for cheaper than usual. What is an ideal use for a tall tank like that? I want to make sure will have a good use for it.

High tanks are trickier to stock because most fish don't swim up and down but side to side, and the footprint is relatively small for the number of gallons, but you could house a single pair of angels in there with maybe a few cory cats for the bottom.

You could get a couple of SA puffers, or just get some platys or swordtails and maybe a gourami.

I see you have 2 angels in your 10, which is way to small for them to stay in, so I'd say you have found a home for them, LOL!

I second Tankgirl's suggestion on moving your angels! The tall tank is perfect for them.

If you want to add a few smaller fish for color, I've grown really fond of my black phantom tetras. Very pretty and curious little tetras, but probably too large to become a meal for your angels. And they don't seem nippy, which is also a good thing with angels.

That's what I was thinking I would use it for. Right now they aren't that big so I guess I have a little time.

you could add some hatchets, they stay towards the top of the water column so that should spread out the movement levels in the tank and make it a little more interesting... plus i really like hatchets :)

Danios will spend more time up top while Barbs swim along the middle. you can also go with some cory cats and maybe a chinese algae eater.

Hatchets are cool but watch out. They are great jumpers. Cant have any openings on the cover or they will leap to their death.

come over to www.reptileadvice.com and we can come up with a few suggestions for a 20 gal like that. :D :D :D
There are pleanty of lizards and other small animals that would be quite happy in a tank like that.

I housed 3 Whites Tree Frogs and 1 chubby frog in a 20 gallon High for well over a year. It was probibly too small for all of them but 1 or 2 would be good.

Back
Top Bottom