What's do you have to do to clean driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Definitely boil it. If someone doesn't find it before I get to work, there's a thread somewhere (actually a few of them) about preparing driftwood for a tank. Boiling, soaking, rinse and repeat.

-j

I just soak it, but it takes longer to remove tannins, about 2 weeks for the bogwood I prefer. The boiling gets the piece waterlogged, if it is dry and not bogwood, and also removes the tannins. If you want a "blackwater" effect then don't boil as long or don't soak as long.

I generally get pieces that are too large to boil.

Here's the link to the article: http://aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=34

I just recently purchased some Malaysian Driftwood and the first thing I did was boil it for a good hour.

After boiling it, I will soak it for up to a week in dechlorinated water, with water changes inbetween.

Wow. On the link you gave me Tankgirl it says to boil from 7-8 hours! That's a long time.... So basically all you have to do is boil it and then let it soak for a couple weeks? or will the tanins do anything except make the water a different color?

A lot of people just boil it and put it in the tank - (this is really dependent on the type of wood it is) - the boiling can often take the place of soaking.

Tannins will sometimes, and this will vary depending on your tap water, lower pH similar to adding peat, as it is an acid. I do not find that it lowers it very much at all in my tank water, which tends to be more towards hard and alkaline.

*brief hijack*

TG, do you get your driftwood around home or do you order it from places?

(I would have PMed, but I want to spread the wealth if there is any to spread. :))

-j

I get it from Perfect Pets out on Broad St., hisc1ay. I like swahala wood as it is dense and will sink immediately, and does not contain a lot of tannin. Fin & Feather has it too but their prices are drastically higher. Floridadriftwood.com is another good source.

I have also gotten driftwood from the Chesapeake that is actually "drift" wood that has been drifting and soaking for who knows how long. It is totally free of tannins but I usually sun dry it for weeks and then start soaking it with the tiniest bit of bleach to kill any SW nasties that don't die from drying and FW soaking. I am scared to use wood found from a FW source because I don't want to introduce anything that will thrive in my FW aquarium.

i bought my driftwood from thatfishplace.com ... 2 pieces actually ... and yes, it turned my water yellow after 3-5 days ... I had this problem for approximately 1-2 months ... but now the water is clear much longer (say 2 weeks?) ... but all in all it was good because I personally didn't like the look and it motivated me to keep up with water changes (every 1-2 weeks). I read about boiling and what not ... but since it doesn't harm the plants or fish (to the best of my knowledge), I just let it be and changed my water when I didn't like the look of it. I'm sure the duration of the leaching process will likely be different for each piece of wood ... but as with most things in an aquarium ... patience is key ... maintain as best you can, and be patient.

I am scared to use wood found from a FW source because I don't want to introduce anything that will thrive in my FW aquarium.

I don't really blame you, but I have done exactly that. Picked up driftwood from a lake I go to, wood far too big to boil. I've then sunk it in my pond for a couple months, figure if my goldfish don't catch anything, my tank will be OK. Once I remove it from the pond, I hose it off and scrub it down with a kitchen scrubber pad. Finally, inspect for rotten bits of wood and remove them. During this inspection you should be able to find any large bugs you don't want in the tank.

This process is pretty risky, and I DO NOT recommend it to anyone not willing to take a chance with their tanks.

If it is small enough to boil, then boil it! My neighbors think I'm nuts when I fire up the grill to boil a large pot full of wood! I find it to be stinky to boil it in the house.

I get all of my wood and rocks for my tanks through collecting. The thought of paying for things I can go find for free just annoys me. Besides, collecting is fun! Fish, plants, rocks, and wood, I've collected all of them at one time or another. (Please check with your home state/province and follow all local laws.)

Back
Top Bottom