Whats going on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshfishguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I have a

10 gallon tank

Stocked with paradise fish about 1 1/2 inches maybe bigger

A quiet flow 10 filter

Filter media carbon

What I'm asking is the tank is really green with algae keep scraping it. I'm only lighting it 14 hours a day. The water is really green you can barely see the back here are some pics

Attachments

• image-1928181007.jpg
    image-1928181007.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image-2888259537.jpg
    image-2888259537.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 69
  • image-2422345458.jpg
    image-2422345458.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 62
Definitely cut your lighting back to 8-10hrs per day and what are your nitrate levels? Without live plants to suck up excess nutrients combined with extended photo periods its easy for algae to grow. Leave your lights off for a couple days and do multiple water changes to try and help things out, try to keep your nitrates as low as possible. What's your maintenance routine/schedule?

Edit: also check out this info about your fish.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+882+1007&pcatid=1007

I siphon 40% every week

I siphon 70% a month if it needs it

I do water testing every week scrape algae of when ever I can to try and stop the algae growth

I have work today so ill try to get out early probably 3:00 to 3:30

I use api algaefix every two weeks. As long as you don't have any inverts you are safe. It even works with live plants. It does a good job of keeping the algae to a minimum.

I would do as zimmanski advised & cut your lights back to 8-10 hrs. I had green algae problems with 2 of my tanks. I changed the timer for the lights to be on for 3hrs off for 3 hrs then back on for 7 hrs. I also added a couple nerite snails to each 10g tank & now they're both crystal clear. I had green algae on EVERYTHING! I started out cutting my lighting back from 10 hrs straight to 8 hrs then to 7 hrs & it helped tremendously but the algae didn't go away completely.

Two things... if you put some tank water in a white cup does the water have a green tint?

Also that algae on the bottom photo, is it a slimy, shiny, sheet of algae that keeps spreading? Or is it green and fuzzy?

The water is clear when you take it out its more of a coating of algae

Nitrate:1ppm

Nitrite:0 ppm

Mostly your algae problem is from lighting. When having algae issues you should run your lights a max of 6 hours only.

Is there a way to scrape some algae off the glass and get a better picture of the plant with the algae in picture 3? I'm trying to get a good enough look at it to see if it is cynobacteria.

Back
Top Bottom