what's good electronic meter to test water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billberet

Aquarium Advice Freak
hey everyone,
i'm getting tired of buying my API chems and was thinking of going digital.
does anyone have any good advice for digital meters to use on a freshwater aquarium?

the only thing i really want to keep an eye on is
PH, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia

something that i can just leave a probe in the tank and i can watch the readings, either on a device, or on a PC.

thanks

you can go to Hach.com, they have water testing equipment; for instance a reagentless pocket pH tester runs about $65, or if you are really wanting it, they have Sension pH/ISE meters starting around $350 + cost of probes+reagents

or

if you have the means you can get a table top spectrophotometer and get a flow through add-on for around $4,000; this will give you what you are looking for, instanteous pH readouts.

thanks, that site is just what i needed.
i'd like to stay around $1200 so i should be able to build what i want.

I think I am going to get the below,
it was just at my budget max, a little over but didn't mention that to the wife, lol.
HQ14d Portable Conductivity Meter
or
HQ430d Benchtop Single Input, Multi-Parameter Meter - pH, Conductivity, Dissolved Oxygen, ORP, and ISE

used with this probe:
IntelliCAL™ ISENO3181 Nitrate Ion Selective Electrode (ISE), 1 meter cable

I sent them an Email asking about what they recommend for aquarium use.
i can either get a single meter with multiple probes, or i might just opt for individual pocket testers.
i believe both readings will be accurate, so it's just a matter of price and ease of use.
at least this way for starters i can watch PH and the end of the nitrogen cycle to make sure everything is ok.

A company called ecotest makes a nice compact and accurate ph tester. I'm a printer by trade and use one daily @ work and on my aquaria. Its all digital and really simple to calibrate.

you are welcome. I work in the water industry and have delt with Hach for 10 years ordering equipment and reagents.

anayhoo, your best bet would be to call them and talk to their tech's, listen to the options when you call I think tech help is 2, they are really helpful and will give you good advice.

Back
Top Bottom