What's growing on my java fern???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TexansFan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've got this weird black fuzz growing on my java fern. Does anyone know what this is? What should I do about it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 165
Black fuzz is black brush algae. How long are your lights on and what are you water parameters and fertilizer schedule?

Light is on about 12hrs/day.

Tank is only about 1 mth old and has 4 fish in it...2 opaline gouramis, 1 tiger barb and a rainbow shark. Been battling some ammonia and nitrate issues. Been doing 1/3 water changes once a week for the last 3 weeks.

I did change the filter that it came with originally so I probably messed up my cycle. I started with a topfin 40 and upgraded to a fluval 70 with the 3 stage filtration.

And I haven't done any fertilizing. There's also a wisteria in there.

Is black brush algae bad? What should I do?

Light is on about 12hrs/day.

Tank is only about 1 mth old and has 4 fish in it...2 opaline gouramis, 1 tiger barb and a rainbow shark. Been battling some ammonia and nitrate issues. Been doing 1/3 water changes once a week for the last 3 weeks.

I did change the filter that it came with originally so I probably messed up my cycle. I started with a topfin 40 and upgraded to a fluval 70 with the 3 stage filtration.

Is black brush algae bad? What should I do?

I would keep the light on less around 10 or less hours. That may help. I am not sure what type of algae eater/snail will eat that type of algae. Also, algae growth also means that there r excess nutrients in the water. I would get some plants that can absorb the nutrients. Water sprite is an excellent choice as they absorb nutrients and help with the nitrates.

I agree with FishCr8zy about the lights. I would also suggest that you add more plants, I know it seems weird but the plants will compete with the algae for light, and nutrients which will help to slow its growth and eventually kill it. I recommend against snails because they prefer to eat plants over the algae so if you want an algae eater stick with shrimp or fish that won't eat your plants.

Nerite snails can help, and there are plenty of snails that don't eat plants, but nerites won't eat it IME if there is something better in front of them. You should limit your light cycle and you can spot treat with some excel or hydrogen peroxide but if you're still cycling your tank that takes top priority over anything else IMO

I agree with FishCr8zy about the lights. I would also suggest that you add more plants, I know it seems weird but the plants will compete with the algae for light, and nutrients which will help to slow its growth and eventually kill it. I recommend against snails because they prefer to eat plants over the algae so if you want an algae eater stick with shrimp or fish that won't eat your plants.

Only some snails will want to eat live plants. Most snails however will enjoy eating decaying/dead plant matter. Shrimp r also excellent algae eaters.

What would be a good type of snail?

Are there different shrimp types too, which is best if so?

Cherry shrimp are my favorite, because their so easy to keep and they can tell you before hand if there is something drastically wrong with your tank. As for snails, apple snails a very popular but they will eventually eat your plants. http://www.planetinverts.com/Red Cherry Shrimp.html
red-cherry-shrimp-female-yellow-saddle.jpg

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/inv/applesnail.php
main-snail.jpg

Cherry shrimp are my favorite, because their so easy to keep and they can tell you before hand if there is something drastically wrong with your tank. As for snails, apple snails a very popular but they will eventually eat your plants. http://www.planetinverts.com/Red%20Cherry%20Shrimp.html
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/inv/applesnail.php

I keep both rcs and giant apple snails. Yup, the apple snails will pretty much eat anything edible when adult. Rcs r very easy to keep and r fun to watch becuz of there red tint.
The second pic is not an apple snail. The one in my avatar is.

Never seen one in this color, but apple snails come in many different color varieties the most common is yellow my, LFS sell them with black and yellow stripes, and in plain red.

Back
Top Bottom