What's happening to my fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ_117

Aquarium Advice Activist
In my 29g community I recently lost a bunch of fish. After movingmy guppies and platy from my 10g to my 29g, 2 of the guppies and the platy have died. They were in there for a week with no problem and now dead... all my other inhabitants are fine. Ammonia is 0ppm also.

Stocking includes;
1 dwarf gourami
1 swordtail
1 gold mystery snail
1 juvenile BN pleco
6 pristella tetras
4 guppies (now 2)
1 platy (also gone)

One guppy died last night, anther one and the platy died today.

I will test my water in a minute. The platy was being very shy these past 2-3 days. I had the intention of setting up a hospital tank for him when I got home from work, but it was too late. One of the guppies was a little lethargic but seemed ok to me because he was eating and pooping normally, and the other guppy showed no signs whatsoever.

Also, I've had all of those fish for about a year and a half, is old age possibly the culprit? I don't want to find out I have a parasite or something in my tank, because the deaths were one after another.

My water parameters are;

NitrAte: 10 to 15ppm
NitrIte: 0ppm
GH: 75ppm
KH: approx 60ppm
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0ppm

Could very well just be age, generally live bearers don't last too long...

Did you acclimate them to the new tank or just put them straight in?
Could just be the stress of moving to the new tank as they arent the hardiest...

Your parameters are fine... Was there any sign of ich or anything of the sort? Keep an eye on the other fish for a few days but if they are all acting/eating ok I wouldnt worry too much

Must... Resist... MTS!!

Could very well just be age, generally live bearers don't last too long...

The only reason I'm doubtful that it's old age is that they are all happening at once. If it was old age it would be very spotty and occasional rather than a group of them.

What were the parameters of the tank they came from? If there was a big difference between the tanks that could have triggered this all.

Also did any of the bodies look beat up? Someone could be mad with newcomers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The fish that were moved sat in a small tank filled with the new (29g) tank water before being moved. They were in the 29g for a week without problems before their deaths.

All of my other fish - including the two remaining guppies - look perfectly fine.

Unfortunately I do not have the old parameters of the original tank; after moving them I completely redid the tank including substrate and plants. They were however in there for a year and a half with no problems whatsoever.

The bodies didn't have any signs of disease or physical injury. Each one looked like they just dropped dead right in their spot... I have all peaceful fish so I don't know which ones would be aggressive, even the dwarf gourami is very shy around other fish and doesn't seem to want to be near them. The platy and tetras actually swam together, and the swordtail seems to mind his own business.

Ok so an update on this thread because I ran into another problem; one of my other guppies was looking lethargic today, and further inspection revealed that his tail was slightly ripped and red along one spot. I quickly set up my hospital tank and put him in there (using water from the tank he was from), and dosed with Melafix.

Do you guys think that these fish were being bullied? Im starting to think it was the gourami but I don't have evidence. I'm thinking he's not taking a liking to the newcomers too well.

There's a pretty good chance that could be it. Usually in a tank you want to add the malt aggressive fish last as they will defend their territories against new comers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom