whats in your dream tank at 300 gallons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it were me, I would do this.

2 Motoro Rays
3 Ornate Bichirs
4 Delhezi Bichirs
4 Peacock Bass
1 Silver Arowana
2 Florida Gars
6 Large Silver Dollars
1 Red Tail Barracuda

Filtration

- Sump as the main filtration
- 1 Canister Filter for water polishing
- Pothos
With a few powerheads to help circulate water.

If it were me, I would do this.

2 Motoro Rays
3 Ornate Bichirs
4 Delhezi Bichirs
4 Peacock Bass
1 Silver Arowana
2 Florida Gars
6 Large Silver Dollars
1 Red Tail Barracuda

Filtration

- Sump as the main filtration
- 1 Canister Filter for water polishing
- Pothos
With a few powerheads to help circulate water.
Depending on the media in the sump, it should usually polish the water pretty efficiently.

Depending on the media in the sump, it should usually polish the water pretty efficiently.

Yeah but I usually always dedicate the majority of my sumps to biological and adding stuff like Purigen, carbon, ammonia remover etc to my canisters. It's not necessary but that's just the way I do it.

I am coming up on a great deal for a 300 gallon tank. I know it will be planted. I know I will have at least one reed fish (rope fish) I know I will have groumies.

But the reality is I am overwhelmed with all the options to put in it...so I hit a wall and cant decide what else to do with it! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

I would like to ask what you would use. Plants and fish. I will probably use playground sand again as I did in my 55. But I would love to hear what you would use as a substrate.

IMO you shouldn't put Gouramis in a 300 Gallon tank unless they're giant Gouramis. They seriously limit your options with larger fish. A tank similar to this one would be a perfect choice and would provide a great environment for a Rope Fish. For substrate I would mix playsand with black blasting sand.

YouTube

I don't have a 300g but I do run a 100% planted 220g tank. I have 12 adult angels, 25 rummynose tetra, 25 cardinal tetras, 12 Threadfin Rainbows, 25 cory cats, 4 rams, 3 whiptail cats (algae eaters), 1 longfin albino BNP, 18 oto's, and 3 yo-yo loaches. I found that even in a tank that big if you stock too many types of fish the tank actually looks too busy. Focus on a main larger type fish like angels or discus, then do 2 or 3 schooling type fish such as tetras, rainbowfish, or rasboras. You could even have 6 Roseline barbs as one of the schools. Then select the type of bottom dwellers you like. If you want to go planted you might want to consider one of the smaller loaches instead of clowns as they can be really really hard on plants. I only keep 3 yo-yo loaches and they are mischievous enough. They also do well with cory cats.

I don't have a 300g but I do run a 100% planted 220g tank. I have 12 adult angels, 25 rummynose tetra, 25 cardinal tetras, 12 Threadfin Rainbows, 25 cory cats, 4 rams, 3 whiptail cats (algae eaters), 1 longfin albino BNP, 18 oto's, and 3 yo-yo loaches. I found that even in a tank that big if you stock too many types of fish the tank actually looks too busy. Focus on a main larger type fish like angels or discus, then do 2 or 3 schooling type fish such as tetras, rainbowfish, or rasboras. You could even have 6 Roseline barbs as one of the schools. Then select the type of bottom dwellers you like. If you want to go planted you might want to consider one of the smaller loaches instead of clowns as they can be really really hard on plants. I only keep 3 yo-yo loaches and they are mischievous enough. They also do well with cory cats.

Discus would be cool.

Ya, I agree with the big, planted community.

Some cool schooling tetras. Some of the bigger ones maybe. We have some Colombian tetras, but the diamond and ornate are pretty sweet as well.

Maybe consider some blue Rams, they are super pretty and colorful.

Definitely get some clown loaches that school, these fish are super active and fun to watch!

And some awesome, beautiful plecos. I love my golden nugget and tiger plecos, so much colour and fun to watch.

Oh and don't for get those funny kuhli loaches, also a hoot!

Maybe an arowana or a couple of pacus. I personally would go with an arowana if I had that big of a tank. I only have a 75 gallon though.

I actually saw a sturgeon in a 250 today wow that is a prehistoric looking fish, with that being cold water I would also add some hillstream loaches, a large school of celestial pearl danios, and a couple rare/interesting plecos

I actually saw a sturgeon in a 250 today wow that is a prehistoric looking fish, with that being cold water I would also add some hillstream loaches, a large school of celestial pearl danios, and a couple rare/interesting plecos

What kind of sturgeon?

We have a Raphael catfish and we think it looks very prehistoric, but the sturgeon are more so!

30 long ear sunfish. It's a great looking fish that's from the US.
img_2515443_0_83fc27ddd0c83b6de9bc5a45a64aaf86.jpg

30 long ear sunfish. It's a great looking fish that's from the US.

I think I've caught a few of these fishing in local reservoirs.(im in northern ohio-near Cleveland)I had no clue what they were until seeing this :) are they sold in pet stores ? The ones I caught were all under 6"-how big do they get?

What kind of sturgeon?

We have a Raphael catfish and we think it looks very prehistoric, but the sturgeon are more so!

I'm not 100% sure the type but it looks like the typical one you see when fishing. I know love aquaria has for sale. So sure there is more info there

I would be torn between doing bigger predatory fish like arowanas with other big fish people can't normally house like clown loaches or knife fish, or doing a community tank with huge schools of little fish. Think about how awesome a school of 100 neons would look!

Back
Top Bottom