Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vanimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So Flo
Posts: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygregg View Post
I've always wanted a redtail catfish. You could look into those
I think a 300 gallon is too small. I would give a RTC a minimum of an 8' x 4' foot print for life.
__________________

__________________
vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vanimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So Flo
Posts: 2,235
If it were me, I would do this.

2 Motoro Rays
3 Ornate Bichirs
4 Delhezi Bichirs
4 Peacock Bass
1 Silver Arowana
2 Florida Gars
6 Large Silver Dollars
1 Red Tail Barracuda

Filtration

- Sump as the main filtration
- 1 Canister Filter for water polishing
- Pothos
With a few powerheads to help circulate water.
__________________

__________________
vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: AquaLand
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanimal View Post
If it were me, I would do this.

2 Motoro Rays
3 Ornate Bichirs
4 Delhezi Bichirs
4 Peacock Bass
1 Silver Arowana
2 Florida Gars
6 Large Silver Dollars
1 Red Tail Barracuda

Filtration

- Sump as the main filtration
- 1 Canister Filter for water polishing
- Pothos
With a few powerheads to help circulate water.
Depending on the media in the sump, it should usually polish the water pretty efficiently.
__________________
Oscar and ClownKnife Fish Lover
Fishanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vanimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So Flo
Posts: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishanatic View Post
Depending on the media in the sump, it should usually polish the water pretty efficiently.
Yeah but I usually always dedicate the majority of my sumps to biological and adding stuff like Purigen, carbon, ammonia remover etc to my canisters. It's not necessary but that's just the way I do it.
__________________
vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vanimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So Flo
Posts: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by imissmytruck View Post
I am coming up on a great deal for a 300 gallon tank. I know it will be planted. I know I will have at least one reed fish (rope fish) I know I will have groumies.

But the reality is I am overwhelmed with all the options to put in it...so I hit a wall and cant decide what else to do with it! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!

I would like to ask what you would use. Plants and fish. I will probably use playground sand again as I did in my 55. But I would love to hear what you would use as a substrate.
IMO you shouldn't put Gouramis in a 300 Gallon tank unless they're giant Gouramis. They seriously limit your options with larger fish. A tank similar to this one would be a perfect choice and would provide a great environment for a Rope Fish. For substrate I would mix playsand with black blasting sand.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=_pbr20cANdU
__________________
vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rivercats's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 13,146
I don't have a 300g but I do run a 100% planted 220g tank. I have 12 adult angels, 25 rummynose tetra, 25 cardinal tetras, 12 Threadfin Rainbows, 25 cory cats, 4 rams, 3 whiptail cats (algae eaters), 1 longfin albino BNP, 18 oto's, and 3 yo-yo loaches. I found that even in a tank that big if you stock too many types of fish the tank actually looks too busy. Focus on a main larger type fish like angels or discus, then do 2 or 3 schooling type fish such as tetras, rainbowfish, or rasboras. You could even have 6 Roseline barbs as one of the schools. Then select the type of bottom dwellers you like. If you want to go planted you might want to consider one of the smaller loaches instead of clowns as they can be really really hard on plants. I only keep 3 yo-yo loaches and they are mischievous enough. They also do well with cory cats.
__________________
Rivercats 220g planted tank
Rivercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
vanimal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: So Flo
Posts: 2,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
I don't have a 300g but I do run a 100% planted 220g tank. I have 12 adult angels, 25 rummynose tetra, 25 cardinal tetras, 12 Threadfin Rainbows, 25 cory cats, 4 rams, 3 whiptail cats (algae eaters), 1 longfin albino BNP, 18 oto's, and 3 yo-yo loaches. I found that even in a tank that big if you stock too many types of fish the tank actually looks too busy. Focus on a main larger type fish like angels or discus, then do 2 or 3 schooling type fish such as tetras, rainbowfish, or rasboras. You could even have 6 Roseline barbs as one of the schools. Then select the type of bottom dwellers you like. If you want to go planted you might want to consider one of the smaller loaches instead of clowns as they can be really really hard on plants. I only keep 3 yo-yo loaches and they are mischievous enough. They also do well with cory cats.
Discus would be cool.
__________________
vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
freak45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: duluth mn
Posts: 92
When I get my own house I'm wanna do a big community tank be dope
__________________
freak45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 215
Ya, I agree with the big, planted community.

Some cool schooling tetras. Some of the bigger ones maybe. We have some Colombian tetras, but the diamond and ornate are pretty sweet as well.

Maybe consider some blue Rams, they are super pretty and colorful.

Definitely get some clown loaches that school, these fish are super active and fun to watch!

And some awesome, beautiful plecos. I love my golden nugget and tiger plecos, so much colour and fun to watch.

Oh and don't for get those funny kuhli loaches, also a hoot!
__________________
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
FishBoy185's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: El paso
Posts: 633
Maybe an arowana or a couple of pacus. I personally would go with an arowana if I had that big of a tank. I only have a 75 gallon though.
__________________
FishBoy185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
ddodad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 575
I actually saw a sturgeon in a 250 today wow that is a prehistoric looking fish, with that being cold water I would also add some hillstream loaches, a large school of celestial pearl danios, and a couple rare/interesting plecos
__________________
ddodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bettaowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 5,981
I would add a school of Pictus cats, some angel fish, and some hatchetfish
__________________
Rule number one: Always research a fish before you buy it.

Rule number two: Always cycle your tank.
bettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddodad View Post
I actually saw a sturgeon in a 250 today wow that is a prehistoric looking fish, with that being cold water I would also add some hillstream loaches, a large school of celestial pearl danios, and a couple rare/interesting plecos
What kind of sturgeon?

We have a Raphael catfish and we think it looks very prehistoric, but the sturgeon are more so!
__________________
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Surfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Home of the situation.
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post

What kind of sturgeon?

We have a Raphael catfish and we think it looks very prehistoric, but the sturgeon are more so!
I saw a spotted raphael at my lfs today, i was tempted to pick it up. 10$ :O
__________________
Pleco is my middle name
Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 216
30 long ear sunfish. It's a great looking fish that's from the US.
__________________
jefferzbooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:54 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Scouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Scouser on tour, Scarborough UK
Posts: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferzbooboo View Post
30 long ear sunfish. It's a great looking fish that's from the US.
That's an amazing fish!

When I get a large tank (hopefully next month) I'm getting some of these ^_^
__________________
Scouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:11 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferzbooboo View Post
30 long ear sunfish. It's a great looking fish that's from the US.
I think I've caught a few of these fishing in local reservoirs.(im in northern ohio-near Cleveland)I had no clue what they were until seeing this are they sold in pet stores ? The ones I caught were all under 6"-how big do they get?
__________________
bthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Fidgetromeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 143
A couple of bala sharks and a sailfin plec
__________________
Fidgetromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
ddodad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post

What kind of sturgeon?

We have a Raphael catfish and we think it looks very prehistoric, but the sturgeon are more so!
I'm not 100% sure the type but it looks like the typical one you see when fishing. I know love aquaria has for sale. So sure there is more info there
__________________
ddodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Alyxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Slidell, La
Posts: 2,284
Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
I would be torn between doing bigger predatory fish like arowanas with other big fish people can't normally house like clown loaches or knife fish, or doing a community tank with huge schools of little fish. Think about how awesome a school of 100 neons would look!
__________________

__________________
Alyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.