Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Whats leaching?

Why do you need to leach drifted wood? and what is leaching?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
i3k
Aquarium Advice FINatic

tannins leach out in to the water and make your water light brown color. this is why you need to try and extract as much of the tannins from the driftwood as you can, before placing it in your tank.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you don't mind the tannins in the water, you can just put the driftwood in the tank. It's called "blackwater" and many south american fish live happily in these conditions. A little activated carbon will remove the tannins from the water.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The tannins cause your water to turn brown, but they also cause a drop in your PH levels. Depending on what kind of fish you're keep, that could be a good thing. Make sure you know what conditions your fish require. You may need the buy some buffer to maintain a neutral to higher PH. I would recommend Seachem alkaline buffer. That's what I use in my tank. I have driftwood and my PH hangs around 7.6 with the buffer. It's a little higher than I prefer but my fish seem happy. Just need to calm down the dosage is all.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

+1 on the monitoring PH levels after adding wood to your tank. I added a fairly large piece and my PH and alkalinity has dropped quite a bit. I never had any luck with carbon removing the tannins from the water, but I picked up some Seachem's Purigen and that has worked wonderfully.

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #6

Oops. I let the drift wood sit in a bucket full of my tank water, for 4 hours or so. Just because I wanted it to sink. Every thing seems to be fine for now. the water is a little yellow, but I have done some water changes. I really don't mind if its a little yellow as long as its clear. I think just a few more changes with RO water will take the yellow out.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleallensmom View Post
+1 on the monitoring PH levels after adding wood to your tank. I added a fairly large piece and my PH and alkalinity has dropped quite a bit. I never had any luck with carbon removing the tannins from the water, but I picked up some Seachem's Purigen and that has worked wonderfully.
Your tank is beautiful! How long have you had it?
Old 01-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeverumGuy View Post
The tannins cause your water to turn brown, but they also cause a drop in your PH levels. Depending on what kind of fish you're keep, that could be a good thing. Make sure you know what conditions your fish require. You may need the buy some buffer to maintain a neutral to higher PH. I would recommend Seachem alkaline buffer. That's what I use in my tank. I have driftwood and my PH hangs around 7.6 with the buffer. It's a little higher than I prefer but my fish seem happy. Just need to calm down the dosage is all.

Now thats wierd, because it actually upped my PH. My PH has always been about 7.6 too, but after I put it in, it went to 7.2 or around that.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #9
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you! That tank is about 4 months old but that plants have only been in since the begining of December. I've been working hard on it and have seen a lot of growth in the plants the last month. I need to put a new photo up.

Check out my 50 Gallon Build
Coleallensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #10

Your plants look good. I just started my 55 gallon, but I had a 30 gallon tank for a year. I need to get some photos up too.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
If you don't mind the tannins in the water, you can just put the driftwood in the tank. It's called "blackwater" and many south american fish live happily in these conditions. A little activated carbon will remove the tannins from the water.
Maybe the active carbon is why my water is only slightly yellow.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
i3k
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisharev View Post
Now thats wierd, because it actually upped my PH. My PH has always been about 7.6 too, but after I put it in, it went to 7.2 or around that.

If your pH went from 7.6 to 7.2...then it dropped a bit. I doubt it will drop lower than that though.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #13

thank you, I understand now. I was switched around. It hasn't droped any lower, its been perfectly stayble. thats nice because I used to have a problem with that.

Tags
chi, leaching

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com