Whats my problem? (Filter related)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I noticed that my filter intake tube was detached from the actual tube and so my filter wasn't running. Apparently this had been going on for a while because when I fixed it and plugged it in, not only did my canister filter (Ehiem pro II) just hum and click but upon further inspection the water was literally steaming. So, the filter was running w/o water.

Super.

Since I need my filter running I decided to hook up my Magnum canister filter to my tank temporarily. Now it too is just humming and not working.

I have checked the hoses, I have plugged everything into different outlets and power cords... what is the deal?? My tank hasn't had a running filter on it for several days and I need to get something fast.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like maybe impeller blockage on both, maybe from sand? Can you tell if the impeller on either one is spinning? That is strange that both of them would konk out on you like that at the same time...

This may be obvious but is it possible that the second filter had not been primed before starting it up? If air got into the first filter when the intake got separated that could cause it to lose its priming.

I would diassemble the Eheim, give it a good cleaning while making a complete inspection of the moving parts. Make sure motor shaft spins when plugged into electrical receptacle. Clean and check impeller for damage. Inspect intake tubes for cracks or holes. Get the filter housing almost completely filled with clean water before priming and starting filter. This should enable you to make a determination about what the problem is.

I took apart both filters and they are trying to work (the magnum is actually running now instead of just humming) BUT the intake STILL isn't sucking any water. I checked the tubes and sure enough, the top part was cracked, so I just bought a plastic tube and adapted it to the intake and it still isn't sucking.

So, I am pretty sure it isn't my filter... it is the intake... how do I fix this?

EDIT
I finally got it working. It took a while.. and it was the air that was causing the problem.. but I filled the intake tube with water (from the top) and primed the heck out of it. Usually the intake tube isn't full of air like this one was and it was one of those DOH! moments.

Intake tubes are not all that expensive. If one is cracked from age, I would replace it. Again, filling the cannister almost completely with water will make priming much easier.

Back
Top Bottom