What's on my cory catfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regen311

Aquarium Advice Freak
I noticed this on one of my 4 cory cats. It's the top left one, it has something weird on its fins, on both sides, a kind of bump. I would have put this is the sick fish forum, but I"m not sure it's a disease, because none of the other fish have it. Any clue what it is?

I can't get the photo thing to work, but I have the picture on my photobucket, here's the link:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/taiyeddreamland/DSCN1273.jpg?t=1166589878

It's not that great of a picture, but photographing cory cats is very hard, they move around a ton...

Looks like a small growth, could be a tumor. Unfortanetly, nothing you can really do to get rid of it. Sometimes they just appear, it may go away, it may not. I it starts to look red, open, sore, etc. then I would try treating with an antibiotic such as tetracycline and see if that helps. Otherwise, for now I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any bigger or anything else.

HTH

Regen311 said:
I noticed this on one of my 4 cory cats. It's the top left one, it has something weird on its fins, on both sides, a kind of bump. I would have put this is the sick fish forum, but I"m not sure it's a disease, because none of the other fish have it. Any clue what it is?

I can't get the photo thing to work, but I have the picture on my photobucket, here's the link:

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/taiyeddreamland/DSCN1273.jpg?t=1166589878

It's not that great of a picture, but photographing cory cats is very hard, they move around a ton...

That's interesting. One of my new corries has the same growth in the same spot. I havn't done anything to treat mine and it hasn't got any worse. I have no idea what it is though.

I just noticed it, I've had these particular fish for about a year and a half. It's on both of his front fins in the same spot. None of my other cories (I have 3 others) have this problem. I keep the tank in excellent condition, regular test for nitrates, ammonia, etc. and everything is usually 0. Water temp stays constant, I do regular PWC, they're fed regularly, the fish have plenty of space to move around (in a 30 gallon tank I have 5 golden barbs, 4 corys, 1 celebes rainbow and a betta now, so it's not even close to overstocked). Oh well, the fish seems fine so i guess I'll just assume he is.

Well, it's still on him, i have no idea what it could be. Looks like no one else does either. Oh well...

Back
Top Bottom