What's on my plants??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone know what the black stuff on my plants in these pics is???ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389639057.928272.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389639075.167297.jpg

I had this growing on my anubias, that's green spots I think, they look black when they're on a plant.

Maybe you've put your anubia under strong lighting, they require low lights. Algae get more benefits from high light than your anubia. It's hard to scrub, and need chemical removal I think (by dip).

I had too strongs lights, the only low light plant I could kept without thoses spots is java fern... I trashed my anubia.

Yea I figured it was something like that!! Bc I switched from low light to medium light in this tank!

I have another low light tank so should I just put the anubius in that tank??? Or should I give it time and let it balance itself out???

Won't balance, the thing will only worsen. In low light tank, u can keep java fern and anubias or other low lights plants. Under high light, you can put the plant in a area where there's not so much light, like under decoration...

For sure, move high light plants in your mid light aqua, and move your low light plants to your low light aqua. You'll have better results. You can try to bleach the anubias leaves by dipping, wuithout dip the roots.

A 30:1 Water:Bleach for a minute should be enough to kill the algae, the plant will look white a bit, and will become green again after few weeks. Then if algae comes back, it show you it don't work :(

It worked for me, but after 1 month, all leaves were covered, so I trashed the plant.

Ok so I put my low light anubius plants into my lowlight 29 gallon tank!!!

They are going from a 30 gallon tank with 78 watts of light to the 29 gallon tank with only 17 watts of light I believe!

All that I did was switch them from tank to tank. Is that ok??

Ok so I put my low light anubius plants into my lowlight 29 gallon tank!!!

They are going from a 30 gallon tank with 78 watts of light to the 29 gallon tank with only 17 watts of light I believe!

All that I did was switch them from tank to tank. Is that ok??

Give it time, and for sure it will recover !

Back
Top Bottom