What's the best fish store you've been in???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgc8fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been in one store that absolutely made me drool. I wanted to buy EVERYTHING!!! That was Fish Safari in Virginia Beach, VA. I was there for a convention my ex-job sent me to, and decided to check it out. They have got everything, and a selection of Oceanic tanks that was insane. I almost wound up carting a 75 Gal home with me. LOL They are also the only store I've seen that carried the Marineland Tidepool tanks (do they still make those?). Also the largest selection of saltwater and freshwater fish I have ever seen... I spent 3 hours looking at fish, and I still don't think I saw all of them.

If anyone happens to find youself in VA beach you should check it out... It's on Lynnhaven Parkway off of VA Beach Blvd. If I wasn't 700 miles away in FL then I would be in there every day.

The best store I've ever been in was in St. Louis. It is very difficult to find fish that are of the same size as what we currently have. Most stores around here only sell juveniles and we have mainly adults. Pet Market in St. Louis sells juvi's as well as adults. They have an amazing selection. They have 10 gal tanks that are half built into the wall and half stuck out of the wall. They all have gravel, plants, and misc decor. They also have at least 25 larger tanks that house the adults. Each tank having it's own species. For example, one tank will have ONLY Yellow Labs the next will ONLY have Johanni's. Not to mention that they have an exceptional sales staff. If you don't know what you plan to stock the tank with, they have tons of books available for you to look at (not to buy, just to look through). They have breeder tanks in the back room of the store and they breed many fish. They were selling full grown Oscars for $25!! We purchased a nearly full grown Johanni for $15! One thing that I REALLY loved about this place, they get orders in once a week. They acclimate the fish into their tanks and place signs that say Not For Sale on the tanks with new fish. They wait a week before selling any fish from that tank. For example, one week they will get in African and SA Cichlids, they won't sell any of the new ones for the next week. Then the following week they will get in Tetras and Gouramis. And so on. I find this practice EXCEPTIONAL. I just wish all stores would do that. As soon as a fish is seen dead in the tank, an employee has it dipped out immediately.

Tomorrow we are checking out a store that specializes in Lake Malawi Cichlids. They have had great reviews, *crossing fingers* hopefully they have several Acei's in stock.

About ten years ago in Quincy, IL there was a fish dealer. The place was called Jungle Pets. I miss the place. He has everything, and the man knew what he was talking about. He was also priced pretty good!

Tulsa Aquatics

they really care for their fish there it is on East 47th street and Mingo Road

awesome store if you ever go there ask for evelyn and say that andrew referred you she is THE sweetest lady you will ever meet

they have a whole BUNCH of fish there and a beautiful 550 gal cichlid tank and all of them are wild caught!

terre quatics yes quatics i didnt spell it wrong its a pet store in champlin MN its great its privitely owned by this guy who has owned the store for 37 yaers hes great the only place in MN that you can find tropical drift wood that dosnt have some nasty side effect on you water. it may not be the bigest selection of fish but he specalizes on my favorite :D :D AMAZON FISH :D :D if it were a little closer i would go every day.

hey ya'll been out awhile..... looking for fish stores :wink: . my home is optimum aquarium just north of atlanta corner of sandy plains rd. and shallowford rd. great salt selection but even more important gregg is a fresh water guy!!

Wow, it's a little bit of a toss up. Now, remember, we are talking NY where there is a LFS within two miles of each other..LOL

1. New World Aquarium - E.38th St. btw 2nd and 3rd Av. in Manhattan.
2. (Forgot name) - Main St. Flushing, NY (three blocks from LIRR station).

Both have beautiful tanks and plenty of exotic and beautiful fish.

Every other LFS I have visited in NYC have limited varieties, limited knowledge and limited prices (high only).

here in the san bernardino the best is probably daryl's pet shop in redlands... its probably about the best kept, a great selection of smaller fish and they don't sell fish that rapidly outgrow the tanks.

but the best ive probably been to is jeff's exotic fish... its right down the street from my dorm... they have the best selection of inverts i've ever seen, their tanks are clearer than any other tanks and their setup is pretty unique... best prices ive ever seen (fish wise)

My favorite fish store is Aqua World on Gravios Ave in St. Louis, MO.

They have the best fish I have seen locally. All their tanks are planted and clean and they have a great selection of freshwater fish. I have purchased from them several times and have not lost a single plant or fish.

Their prices are slightly higher than the petstore chains, but it's worth it for the quality you get.

My favorite LFS is Atlantis Marine Fish and Supply in Portland, Maine. The owner is also the only employee and is there every day. She designed the store to look like a pine panelled den in someones house. The tanks are ALWAYS immaculate! I and many of my friend have taken many fish home from their...never disease or ick or anthing! The store is the cleanest fish store I have ever seen..and always has a pleasant smell. Until going into this store I never had an interest in Marine Tanks, as all I ever saw were "salt creeped" messes at other store. Also Leng Sy, CEO of Ecosystem (Miracle Mud) and Coral Magazine, visited her store last month and said she had one of the most beautiful fish stores he had ever seen. That is my favorite!

WC

Back
Top Bottom