What's the best food? / Feeding regimen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so as of now I've really just been flakes once to twice a day, and freeze dried blood worms for a treat and fasting once a week.

So what do y'all feed, what kinda schedule, and why?

Trying to find what I think is the best way to feed.

Thanks!

I just started the New Life Spectrum "10 Day Challenge" they advertise on their website. They say if you feed NLS exclusively for 10 days and don't see a noticeable difference in the fishes color...they will refund the cost of their food (which isn't cheap).

Even if I don't see drastic changes I'll most likely stick with the NLS since it considered one of (if not THE most) quality foods on the market.

I'm currently feeding the NLS Thera +A to most, and supplementing the bottom feeders with the NLS h2o stable wafers. Only downside is the Thera +A has a healthy amount of garlic...and it absolutely smells horrible.

Other great brands are Hikari and Omega One. You really can't miss with any of them. Frozen bloodworms also make a great treat my fish love...but they really don't have much nutritional value.

(I have a feeling a particular member will be along shortly to make his recommendation and explain why in a bit more detail...these food threads often get entertaining :) ).

Last edited:
Good questions! I'm wondering the same thing as I'm going to be getting fish soon. :D

I did order some NLS Community Pellets which is considered a good food, we'll see if my fish go for it. I'll probably feed this 3x week.

I'll probably also fast one day and feed thawed peas one day for digestion.

For the other two days, I'd like a variety so I'm considering some frozen foods as well and veggies if the fish would like them.

This is all in theory in my case though, since I don't have any fish to feed yet. I'm interested to hear more suggestions.

Oh, also does it matter what time of day you feed the fish? I'm leaning toward evening when I get home since I'll have more time to watch them at night rather than if I try to feed them in the morning while I'm getting ready for work, but not sure the night feeding would mess up their schedule or cycle or something.

One thing to look out for with the NLS is the pellet size. I bought the regular community formula and they were too big for my Neon Tetras to eat. I haven't made it back to the store yet to try and get the small fish formula...so for now they're making do.

I feed my fish probably 5 days out of the week, and before trying the NLS "exclusive" diet I would feed frozen bloodworms once a week.

I know a lot of people argue that fish naturally eat several tiny meals throughout the day...but with the number of fish I have it's just too difficult to only add a tiny portion and make sure everyone eats. I have to feed them all at once with a couple days off. It's better to underfeed than to overfeed (I'd bet 90% of fish owners overfeed their fish).

Some fish are nocturnal like Corys, Plecos, etc... I feed my fish in the evening normally, but after lights out I'll drop in a wafer or two for my Panda Corys to munch on after dark.

One thing to look out for with the NLS is the pellet size. I bought the regular community formula and they were too big for my Neon Tetras to eat. I haven't made it back to the store yet to try and get the small fish formula...so for now they're making do.

Oh great, and the Celestials have very tiny mouths. Not sure what size I got, I'll have to check. :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom