What's the best root tab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
What brand makes the best root tabs? So far I know of two good brands API and searchem? For 10 tabs API costs $5 and searchem $7. Which brand is best or is there a better brand?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I ordered gel caps from a whole foods place and make my own with osmocote plus, they work great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I order the AquaFertz root pellets from AquariumPlants.com. Have had good results with them. Three flavors: Total, Phosphate, and Iron. 75 tabs for about $10. Total and Phosphate every 30 days; Iron every 45 days. They also sell a nifty pellet injector. Comes in 3 sizes. Puts the pellets exactly where you want and hands stay dry.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/mobile/Category.aspx?id=41

Root Tabs

What brand makes the best root tabs? So far I know of two good brands API and searchem? For 10 tabs API costs $5 and searchem $7. Which brand is best or is there a better brand?

Hello el...

I used them several years ago, but found they messed up my water chemistry. Too concentrated, I guess. So, I quit using them and just added a few more fish. If you want to keep the tank water as pure as possible, just add a few small fish and feed them a balanced diet. They'll provide all the ferts the plants need, plus large frequent water changes.

Sorry, just not much of a fan of commercial ferts.

B

Okay, can I see a pic of your tank? Do you use anything else for your plants. I figured my sword would benefit from root tabs. http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r580/koryphillip7/Mobile%20Uploads/10353B31-814F-43B8-8503-947124D04F23_zpstujtuju1.jpg here is my Mellon sword it's over 1ft.

Root feeding plants need root tabs no matter what you have in your tank. They may survive without them but they definitely won't thrive.

Back
Top Bottom