whats the best thing to use for a bed for a brackish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is fine, you don't have to believe me. Do you have mollies also running in freshwater? If not then what fish are your mollies healthier than, more colorful than, and breeding more than?

To anyone reading this: please think twice about keeping mollies in brackish or saltwater permanently. Please research before making your decision (and not just on one forum). Mollies are freshwater fish, please keep them this way.

do you have mollies? i do and trust me, they thrive in brackish!

Must be all the enzymes you feed them.

I don't profess to know about their natural habitat, because I don't really care. Someone else stated that they are sparsely found in brackish water. Logic and reasoning would dictate that if they are rarely found somewhere, then that must not be where they want to be. If that's what they preferred, then they would be more prevalent in those conditions.

i had them in fresh when i got them and kept them like that 4 awhile, then acclimatized them to a low salinity, under1.010..... and their is NO COMPARISON HOW MUCH BETTER THEY ARE IN BRACKISH....

tou should google mollies or check somewhere , they are definatly both fresh and brackish, but do way better in brACKISH ...IME... your food is better in your expierience.

You don't enough.

Yes, they are listed as both because as we all know and agree, they are found in brackish in nature. But their primary habitat in nature is freshwater.

Have any other factors changed in how you care for your fish? Has your water change schedule improved? Do you feed anything that you fed when they were in freshwater? Are they with the same fish? All of these things can greatly effect how well they do. Them being in brackish may be second to you improving your water quality over time, feeding better, being less stressed because of certain tankmates, etc.

Sometimes you have to agree to disagree. ;)

Let's get back on topic with the OP's original reason for posting. If you have something else to discuss, please start a new thread.

I moved these hijacked posts to it`s own thread. I want to echo Kristin`s thoughts. Agree to disagree and move on. Allow others to post their comments without retaliation. Any more arguing I`ll need to close this thread.

3 years is not above and beyond.

No one is saying they can't live in it, we all know they can. The difference in opinion is whether they can truly thrive long term in brackish or whether they are truly freshwater fish who happen to be able to tolerate brackish long term (obviously much better than almost any other freshwater fish).

You can go to the molly thread if you wish to continue this discussion. I won't respond here as the mod requested.

Back
Top Bottom