What's the deal with pink light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swanandmokashi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got a hood from Walmart (I know I know) yesterday for my 15 gallon. I think its made by Aqua Culture. The light seems to have a pinkish tint. I can clearly make it out as I have a sand as substrate. Why is it so ? I have never seen/had any lught like this before. Is this safe for the fish and plants?

Hmm...I think I've had a bulb that had a redish tint to it if you looked at it but when it was over the tank you couldn't tell it had that redish tint. I would take the bulb out and see how many Kelvins it is and whatever other info is listed on there. I assume since its 15W its 18"? HTH.

i just bough bulbs from petsmart today called "aquaglo" thinking that they were the bulbs i'd had before. because i was in a rush, i didn't open the boxes.

i bring them home and the bulbs are an opaque bizarre lavendar colour and let off pink light. it's horrible. i don't understand.

that's what i get for not taking the 30 seconds to look before buying. :roll:

but no.... it doesn't seem to make sense why anybody would have tinted light. it's horrible.

The pinkish lights are a 6700 K, which is fairly common and is great for plants and makes red fish look redder, and looks great with the right substrate and decorations, but can look awful with others. I used to have aqua-glos on both my tanks and liked them. My new light strip has a 6700 and a full spectrum and everything looks awesome. Your big problem is your white sand.

down here they sell them in hydroponics shops as "Grow lights"
specifically for raising clones of a mother plant.

Todd2 said:
Hmm...I think I've had a bulb that had a redish tint to it if you looked at it but when it was over the tank you couldn't tell it had that redish tint. I would take the bulb out and see how many Kelvins it is and whatever other info is listed on there. I assume since its 15W its 18"? HTH.

Nothing on the bulb -- yes it is a 18" -- hood says rated for 120V 19Watts -- 19Watts ?? that is new.

Apocalypse_Gold said:
The pinkish lights are a 6700 K, which is fairly common and is great for plants and makes red fish look redder, and looks great with the right substrate and decorations, but can look awful with others. I used to have aqua-glos on both my tanks and liked them. My new light strip has a 6700 and a full spectrum and everything looks awesome. Your big problem is your white sand.

5000K is very yellow, as is anything lower.6700k is white with a light yellow tint. 8800K are the closest to pure white that I've seen, but its a rather uncommon temperature. 9325K bulbs are known to be pink/purple. 10,000k are white with a light blue tint.

Back
Top Bottom