What's the Deal With This Clear "Film" Inside the Tank Walls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
You can't see it when looking head-on at the front aquarium pane, but when I, say, go down the stairs that are adjacent to the area the tank is in and look through the side pane to view the front, I can see a pretty thick film covering the inside walls of the front glass pane and even the sides...I can also make out where the fish have "rubbed" against it, making patterns and indentations in the slab of film, as well as where my hand cut through it during maintenance or something....however, this isn't visible from just looking head on at the tank, and it doesn't appear as "algae" to me...

Is this in fact algae of some kind, and can it be left alone...or does it need to be scraped off? Is this from the fish's slime coats? As I said, it's a nearly clear film that can only be seen from certain angles when you look at different panes of glass of the aquarium...

It sounds like a nice layer of biofilm to me. It is nothing to be worried about. Some fish like otos like to eat it.

Thank you very much, Bud...appreciate the reply!

Indeed, this "film" is transparent when looking at the glass head-on, and it does have a sticky, slimy texture to it when you touch it from inside...what exactly is "biofilm" and what causes it? I am keeping goldfish, so I don't have any cats like otos to "eat" it; is it okay if it's left on the glass? :hide:

I believe that heterotrophic bacteria is mainly responsible for biofilm. Heterotrophic bacteria are not good nitrifiers like autotrophic bacteria (bacteria found in the filter), however heterotrophic bacteria do break down organic material, so I would definitely keep it.

Thanks, Bud...

Can anyone else here confirm or add to Bud's analysis of the bio-film taking over the inside glass walls of my aquarium? Should this be scraped away, or is it alright to keep as Bud suggests?

I believe that heterotrophic bacteria is mainly responsible for biofilm. Heterotrophic bacteria are not good nitrifiers like autotrophic bacteria (bacteria found in the filter), however heterotrophic bacteria do break down organic material, so I would definitely keep it.

+1 to Bud29

Have you ever been freshwater fishing, or gone and walked on the slippery rocks of a stream? Its the same thing and no, it doesn't hurt anything. If you want you can scrape of the front pane of the tank so that you have a better view, but it will not hurt anything. We all have it! I think it comes worse with goldfish because they are messier than most freshwater fish. So I agree with Bud totally!!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to everyone in this thread; I hadn't received a notice that I actually got replies...:confused::(

Okay, so this clear "bio-film" is indeed harmless, guaranteed? And it indicates, as one member suggested, a mature, healthy tank? Is this really so? As I said, it's completely transparent from looking at the tank from the main front pane, but when you view it from the sides, for instance, you can see the "hazy structure" on the INSIDE of the glass...am I describing what appears to be "bio-film," and are you guys sure this isn't something BAD for the tank?

that is bio-film and no it is not bad, its a good thing

Thanks, as always, mp...

Can you be a little more specific as to why this is a "good sign"...is it a result of the nitrifying bacteria "doing their thing"?

as someone stated its a different type of bacteria that is not quite as good at getting rid of ammonia and nitrites as the one we want (i dont remember their names). Anyways its just a good sign that your tank is maturing which is a good thing :)

Now its not necessary to be in your tank, so feel free to clean it if you want, but it wont hurt to be there either. Kinda how we all have mulm in out tanks (the brown stuff in the filters, tubing, and filter media) its not a bad thing, in fact its good for live plants and a sign the good bacteria is doing its job.

Thanks, as always, mp...

Can you be a little more specific as to why this is a "good sign"...is it a result of the nitrifying bacteria "doing their thing"?

The nitrifying bacteria are the autotrophic bacteria, generally found on filter media. The bacteria responsible for biofilm is heterotrophic, which I believe is about 1,000 times less efficient at nitrification. Heterotrophic bacteria breaks down organics.

Is this the same stuff that floats on the top of the water?

I have a film that gathers along the surface of the water. I have my spray bar on one side of the tank, pushing water across the length. The parts that are moving you can see the film is not there, but it settles on the far end of the tank, where it can get kind of thick. I try to net out what I can, but it's not real effective.

Is this the same stuff that floats on the top of the water?

I have a film that gathers along the surface of the water. I have my spray bar on one side of the tank, pushing water across the length. The parts that are moving you can see the film is not there, but it settles on the far end of the tank, where it can get kind of thick. I try to net out what I can, but it's not real effective.

that is a build up of proteins and generally harmless if you do regular water changes, some people us paper towels to soak it up off the surface, or there are surface skimmers you can buy that will hook up to HOB and canister filters to clean the surface of the water.

Thanks all; I just hope this clear bio-film isn't a sign the water is any kind of danger...:hide:

The film inside my tank actually looks like, I know this sounds weird, tiny clear feathers when you look closely on the glass. I've never seen this before in other tanks. Although, this is my first big aquarium and I dont have a ton of experience w a lot of plants. But I think this has something to do with all the hitchhiker snails I have. Could someone help me out here? I have 3 ottos. Should I leave it for them? Or scrape it? Im puzzled as to what it is.

Back
Top Bottom