What's the recommended tank size for guppy fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Temp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm curious to know how big should the water volume be when raising guppy fry after carrying out the fry from the main tank?

I'm also worried that guppy fry, when in a tank with a high depth of water, would kill the lungs from water pressure or something that isn't disease-related.

Thanks in advance.

15g is what I use to raise 20-30 fry until they are 1" and start to color.

Not really sure about the water pressure. That is something I have never thought about being a problem.

Water pressure isn't as much of a problem with fish so depth isn't a big concern with a tank. They don't have lungs. What size tank and how many fry are you looking to house?

its all about keeping the water clean. if you can do that in a 5 gallon tank thats fine. though the larger of tank the more room for error you have. also remember they have fry ever few weeks so its not just one batch you have to think about its new ones every few weeks if you really want to raise them.

I don't know much about guppy fry, but I do know something about pressure.

Speaking as someone who experiences the pressures of being underwater, I don't think you have anything to worry about depth. Fish do have an air cavity called a swim bladder, which they can use to control their buoyancy. As long as you don't have high flow blowing the fry all over they won't do anything they can't handle.

I've got about 20-25 small guppy fry in my 55 Gallon... I just left them in the main display tank. They are about 2 weeks old now and all seem fine. To protect them when they were just born I grabbed some plants from the bottom, tied them together with a small piece of nylon string, and coraled them to a semi-calm corner of the tank. They hung out there for a couple days and then ventured out. None of the other fish have seemed to bother them after the first couple days. You will need to change the water more frequently though, I've noticed my levels require a weekly (every 5-7 days) 20% water change. Enjoy!

Speaking of... Anyone want some guppies? lol

Back
Top Bottom