What's the trick to feeding gbr's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Passatryde

Aquarium Advice Activist
so I had a pair of gbr's awhile back and the long story short is even though they were the biggest fish in my tank (tetra's, guppies, rasboras, etc) they never seemed to go to the top to eat like all the other fish so I'm worried because I got 2 more yesterday and they appear to just be too passive to try to get up there and eat like the rest of them. is there a trick you all use?

When I had kept gbr I found that they were very fond of sinking shrimp pellets. After getting comfortable eating those they occasionally ate flakes as well as frozen foods

My Bolivian Rams don't go to the top either. I used to put my fingers in the water before letting go of the flakes so they dropped to them (while the other fish were busy at the other end of the tank with flakes on top). I've since gotten some pellets for them though.

Very few of my GBR's have ever been surface feeders and tend to like to catch food mid to lower level in the tank. But all mine have always been pig's with their favorite food being cooked, deshelled, slightly smashed peas. You may have to try some different foods but they have to get down tothe level where the rams want to feed at.

Sinking pellets, and if you need to deliver something to them directly, I've had good luck using a turkey baster.

Back
Top Bottom